Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people can I get your input on what you all think is better long or short. but if you post make sure you post why you say so I am sure this will lead to long being better but I want to know why you guys think so?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
On a jk I think you have a somewhat mid arm set up. Maybe add some good same size control arms with johnny or super flex joints and you've got the best of both worlds at factory length...good wheel travel and good break over. You may see some improved street ride quality with long arms but I'm guessing a good set of shocks will do wonders for far less $$$.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Long arm of coarse is going to be better.

Decease in CA angle = better ride/handling on road
Less bind articulating = less stress on suspension components.
you don't have to lift 6" to install a LA. Good for LCG builds. And with long travel shocks a potential for some serious articulation

Problem is you pay and long arm kits are not bolt on.

There really is no "short" arm for a Jk. I think RK calls them mid arms. This is because the Jk has longer arms then previous models. Compared to a Tj- we have a short arm already.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but with some adjustable control arms on a short arm kit you can still get the correct angle. The only thing I see a long arm kit being better is comfort in ride.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
My lj rides like a Cadillac on much shorter than jk arms. Spring and shock selection are massively important but it also depends on the end of day use and budget for your jeep.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
wmwhitey said:
but with some adjustable control arms on a short arm kit you can still get the correct angle. The only thing I see a long arm kit being better is comfort in ride.
Longs arms move the frame mounts in toward the center. This runs them more parallel to the ground reducing the angle. . Along with long travel shocks a lot more articulation with minimal added lift height.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Longs arms move the frame mounts in toward the center. This runs them more parallel to the ground reducing the angle. . Along with long travel shocks a lot more articulation with minimal added lift height.

Yup!! X2 :thumb:

·
Registered
861 Posts
fyi...the evo doubleD can be bolted or welded on, but welding is the obvious choice.
long arm for sure cuz chicks digg em

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
we've had 2 long arm jks and 2 short arm jks all on four different jks.

the long arms ride the nicest, by far. but our short arms have always flexed out better but that was more about the shocks/springs than the arm setup.

if your rig is going to be a keeper, go with the long arm. if you plan on selling it in a few years, go with a short arm. don't credit card it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Long arms are nice but the rear frame brackets will cause you to hang up. One of the guys in our club always struggles over larger obstacles due to getting hung up where those with stock arm mounting points glide right over. Think of the AEV drop brackets in reverse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts