Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. Im about to lift my JK but I cant make up my mind on were I want the teraflex long arms or flex arm kit. Its either gonna be a 3 or 4 in lift and ill be getting a new drive shaft as well so im trying not to kill my wallet. BTW the jeep is my dd but I do go off road pretty often. Whats the pro and cons to each. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,781 Posts
Just do your research on long arms. Most bolt on 5 link kits can do more harm then good ie, hang down low, pinion angle changes, poor overall geometry like Anti-squat, etc.
People with the know how usually run custom linked suspensions. 3 link/double triangulated 4 link/etc where they can dial in everything perfectly.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Long Arm kits replace the 4 stock length control arms with longer CAs. As you raise the chassis from the axles the angle of the CAs increases. Ideally the angle in the vertical plane should be near zero but with a slight toe in in the horizontal plane. The design concept is that the longer the CA the smaller the angle of the CA as lift increases. The vertical component of the angle introduces coupling between the suspension and the steering. This concept worked well with previous generation Jeeps that were smaller but the benefits are reduced on the JK unless you go with a tall lift.

As Kjeeper said, are other innovative designs that work as well or better on the JK depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Both types of CAs are adjustable to balance Caster and pinion angles.

IMO, the best candidate for long arm or other more aggressive suspension designs is an owner that has lived with a taller lift with conventional adjustable CAs but still wants more off road performance at the expense of his wallet. If your budget is unlimited then the long arm kit will at the very least attract attention next time you are on the trail. :)

Just keep in mind the taller the lift the more you compromise the road performance and reliability of your DD. Lift it as much of you want but just be aware of the subsequent costs. BTW, TF makes great products. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts