Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a front end shake for a few years now. It happens when I'm at highway speeds mostly and go over some rough rough like frost heaves. It does stop after I go over the bumps so I don't think it is death wobble but at some times it does feel like it could be the start of it. I do also feel a click in the steering wheel and my right foot when very slightly moving the wheel. I do feel it once in a while without moving the wheel too. It sort of feelings like something was slightly off and clicked back into place.

I started off by replacing the track bar and all the bolts 2 years ago. That didn't help. I then brought it to a local Jeep mechanic in Feb who said my ball joints and tie rod ends were shot. I replaced those along with the steering stabilizer. That didn't help. He did do an alignment as well which I will put below.

I then replaced the front two shocks and the two lower control arms. I do have the rear shocks but haven't had time to replace them. That didn't help.

I then brought it to another local well known Jeep mechanic and he said everything was tight and couldn't find anything that would be causing it. He did an alignment to make sure it wasn't that, which I will include below. Looking at both alignment sheets, the same measurements are off on both, only 6 months apart. The left toe is negative, the right toe is positive and the steer ahead is negative. To me that seems odd they would be off like that only 6 months apart.

I did also notice that my driver side bump stop is chewed up while my passenger one is not. May be a coincidence but also seems odd to me.

I can't tell what the front end is doing whether the axle is bouncing up and down or the wheels are shimmying side to side. The drag link ends do seem like they are starting to wear down but both mechanics said they seemed fine to them and shouldn't cause this issue. What else should I look at? I'm starting to get very frustrated and have thought about trading in the Jeep. If it was only happening once in a while I think I could live with it but it happens often and it pushed my Jeep almost into the other lane if the bump is big enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
The bump stops should not have anything to do with this. They seem to just degrade over time. I ended up having to replace both of mine at about 6 years old.

As for the wobble. I was getting this, after replacing the all -three- shocks on the front (left/right/steering stabilizer) and getting my tires balanced the problem went away.

I've found with the stock Sahara tires (31") if the steering stabilizer starts to get warn and the tires are even a little out of balance you get the wobble you described. Not a 'death wobble', but shaking over small bumps.. but no problem over big ones.

(Obviously if you are lifted, don't have stock tires, etc.. that all changes the equation...) As for why your alignment keeps getting off, I have no idea. That almost sounds like a tie-rod end is slipping or something.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bump stops should not have anything to do with this. They seem to just degrade over time. I ended up having to replace both of mine at about 6 years old.

As for the wobble. I was getting this, after replacing the all -three- shocks on the front (left/right/steering stabilizer) and getting my tires balanced the problem went away.

I've found with the stock Sahara tires (31") if the steering stabilizer starts to get warn and the tires are even a little out of balance you get the wobble you described. Not a 'death wobble', but shaking over small bumps.. but no problem over big ones.

(Obviously if you are lifted, don't have stock tires, etc.. that all changes the equation...) As for why your alignment keeps getting off, I have no idea. That almost sounds like a tie-rod end is slipping or something.
I should have said this happened with the stock Rubi wheels and tires before and after balancing and after I installed new 33" wheels and tires.

This is a 2011 JKU with 52k.

The Jeep mechanic tightened everything to spec and said everything was good.

The bump stops aren't a huge concern. I just found it odd that the driver side would be so chewed up where as the passenger side wasn't touched at all. Figured it was worth showing in case this happens because something is loose on the drivers side that I haven't looked at yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread cause it sounds like the same thing I have. It's been doing it since I bought the jeep with 5k miles. It actually got worse and developed full on DW after getting the tires rotated and balanced at 10k miles (possibly a coincidence).

After looking at the planman videos on YouTube I checked my own front end and noticed my drag link end at the pitman arm was bad. So I changed that and added a yeti xd trackbar as I heard factory trackbars could be a cause. I torqued everything to spec and the DW has subsided back to the shimmy I first had. It's tolerable but I'm concerned that I treated the symptoms and not the cause of the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread cause it sounds like the same thing I have. It's been doing it since I bought the jeep with 5k miles. It actually got worse and developed full on DW after getting the tires rotated and balanced at 10k miles (possibly a coincidence).

After looking at the planman videos on YouTube I checked my own front end and noticed my drag link end at the pitman arm was bad. So I changed that and added a yeti xd trackbar as I heard factory trackbars could be a cause. I torqued everything to spec and the DW has subsided back to the shimmy I first had. It's tolerable but I'm concerned that I treated the symptoms and not the cause of the issue.

I'm worried this will turn into death wobble. I've done planman's diagnosis a few times and the only thing I can really find is slightly movement in my drag link which he says doesn't cause death wobble. I may replace that and see what happens. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to replace. Everything else is new.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Are the holes where the bolts go in on your track bar still perfectly circular? If they have gotten wallowed out or elongated, then that can cause exactly what you are describing.

As for the unrelated bumpstop issue, I think the chewed up one almost looks like it was exposed to some kind of chemical...

·
Super Moderator
15,353 Posts
Are the holes where the bolts go in on your track bar still perfectly circular? If they have gotten wallowed out or elongated, then that can cause exactly what you are describing.
^ Exactly what I was thinking

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'll throw this out there but probably isn't it. When tires are ballanced they do it "hub centric" If your rims are "lug centric" and are not perfect they will ballance OK and shake on the Jeep. Factory rims and a few aftermarket ones are hub centric.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

As for the unrelated bumpstop issue, I think the chewed up one almost looks like it was exposed to some kind of chemical...
This is exactly the next thing I'm going to try. I do remember a little play (even with the upgraded 9/16" bolts) on the axle side. I'm going to try these Fix it Weld Washers, Set of 6 - RuffStuff Specialties

That is what the mechanic said too. Just wasn't sure if it was related.

I'll throw this out there but probably isn't it. When tires are ballanced they do it "hub centric" If your rims are "lug centric" and are not perfect they will ballance OK and shake on the Jeep. Factory rims and a few aftermarket ones are hub centric.
My aftermarket ones are hub centric too.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yup! That's what you need!

I've since cut mine off due to geometry and bracketry changes, but my buddy works at a factory with a laser cutting department and he had enough washers for 3 JKs cut out that were square-ish and 1/4" thick with a hole the correct size cut out in the middle to bring the TB bolt hole back down to factory size. We welded one on front and back sides of the front axle side and frame side TB mounting brackets. It fixed the DW on my friend's JK, and prevented it from ever starting on the other two JKs we did.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You need a JKS/Teraflex etc. track bar with 9/16" hardware torqued to 125lbs + Loctite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You need a JKS/Teraflex etc. track bar with 9/16" hardware torqued to 125lbs + Loctite.

I don't think the factory track bars are necessarily the cause unless the bushings are shot or the holes are wallowed out. I put the yeti xd on mine which is beefier that the TF and JKS units and I'm still having the similar problem. Obviously if those areas are worn then I think the trackbar change is good but at least in my case it wasn't the resolution.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup! That's what you need!

I've since cut mine off due to geometry and bracketry changes, but my buddy works at a factory with a laser cutting department and he had enough washers for 3 JKs cut out that were square-ish and 1/4" thick with a hole the correct size cut out in the middle to bring the TB bolt hole back down to factory size. We welded one on front and back sides of the front axle side and frame side TB mounting brackets. It fixed the DW on my friend's JK, and prevented it from ever starting on the other two JKs we did.
That's awesome. I'm going to try the ruff stuff fix it things. They seem to get a lot of great reviews and should be easy to install.

I have a Synergy TB and 9/16" hardware and it has been torqued to 125ft lbs. The hole has been ovaled a little. That's the issue (hopefully). Not so much the TB itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts