Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the RE 4.5in lift kit w/ 33" mud terrains. Are there any long term or even short term problems I should know about? Anything at all...

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
Nice kit, have one currently. Rides decent, and wheels great.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be weary of the Dana 35. You are border line with 33s but it is easy to grenade that turd.
How would I grenade that turd? I'll probably be installing 4:56 gears

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A properly set up wrangler should drive as well or better than a stock jeep. :)
Yes I know that. What I need to know is if the set up I'm looking at is that proper set up.

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
I have had this lift on two TJ's. The 1st one was a 01 with 33 TSL's. No issue, had RE hack and tap for the t-case on that one. Drove it 40 miles to work each day no issues.

2nd one is current one. Same lift, did do the AA sye on this one. I did have to add lower adj control arms (vs fixed) to the front but I am running non-stock axles. I run this one with out f/r sway bars so its um.. a bit more slushy on the road. But 55mph is fine on the highway. I also had a buddy who ran same kit for 5 years or so, and no major problems I know of.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gears have nothing to do with the amount of stress put ont he axle to turn the bigger heavier wheels
Thanks for the heads up. If I blow out the rear, I'll have a good excuse to upgrade. :D

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
it could be smarter, to use the money that you would use to upgrade the ring and pinion gears towards a new axle instead of spending money twice b/c the new axle could need to be regeared, or if it doesnt you;ll still have to pay for it

but w/ out a locker, and 33's you could get away with the D35 for quite a while depending on how intense you wheel

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
Is it just the axle or the whole thing? What kind should I get to avoid that problem?
I'd say ring and pinion or spider gears but those usually take something else with it. If you want my honest opinion you better ask someone else on an acceptable replacement axle.

When I first replaced my Dana 35 I chose the Ford 8.8. It didn't last very long but it is more than beefy enough for 37s. Your best bet on any modification is to sit down with a pen and paper. Draw out exactly what you want your jeep to be. Then work towards that. Other wise you will go back to my original statement. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts