Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm deploying come January and I wanted to know what I should do with the jeep for long term storage (ill be gone for about 8 months)

I was gonna put some fuel stabilizer in the tank along with disconnecting the battery cables. Aside from that I'm not what else I should be doing. It gets cold up here as well.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Top off all your fluids (including gas). Stabilizer is a good idea. It's not a bad idea to remove your battery either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got back from a deployment, I just topped off all the fluids, used a stabilizer for the fuel... I left the Optima battery hooked up, and just had my brother start it once a week for a few minutes... If you're leaving it with family or friends, I'd go that route, if you're leaving it on base, take out the batt, and buy a good one when you get back....

·
Registered
988 Posts
Good luck fellow Jeeper! :) I hope to be in the military some day unless I still have my girl.

These guys seemed to have given the same advice I would've given you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
First and foremost, thank you for your service. Be safe out there.....

As for storage, it depends on location. Your thread did not specify.

What I suggest if you can not leave or trust with family or friend.....

Look into a long term heated storage facility. $100-$140 per month is relatively cheap for a solid peace of mind. Pay up front if possible and you may qualify for discount.

Change all major fluids prior. Radiator, oil, transmission.
Remove any and all belongings.
Detail vehicle in and out spotless as if you were shipping through customs overseas.
Place a few moisture absorbant packs in car.
Keep a set of jumper cables in car.
Use water wetter in 1/2 gas tank.
Over-inflate tires by 5-10 pounds or use tire savers. U shaped wheel parking cups to support tires in long term storage from flattening.
If in long term storage, flat oil drip pan.
Lock vehicle
Disconnect battery and cover terminals.
Place steel wool inside exhaust pipes. This keeps any critters from building a nest
Car cover?
Call insurance company and reduce insurance to storage policy, if possible.
Place keys in safe hiding spot.
Deploy knowing your baby is well protected.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First and foremost, thank you for your service. Be safe out there.....

As for storage, it depends on location. Your thread did not specify.

What I suggest if you can not leave or trust with family or friend.....

Look into a long term heated storage facility. $100-$140 per month is relatively cheap for a solid peace of mind. Pay up front if possible and you may qualify for discount.

Change all major fluids prior. Radiator, oil, transmission.
Remove any and all belongings.
Detail vehicle in and out spotless as if you were shipping through customs overseas.
Place a few moisture absorbant packs in car.
Keep a set of jumper cables in car.
Use water wetter in 1/2 gas tank.
Over-inflate tires by 5-10 pounds or use tire savers. U shaped wheel parking cups to support tires in long term storage from flattening.
If in long term storage, flat oil drip pan.
Lock vehicle
Disconnect battery and cover terminals.
Place steel wool inside exhaust pipes. This keeps any critters from building a nest
Car cover?
Call insurance company and reduce insurance to storage policy, if possible.
Place keys in safe hiding spot.
Deploy knowing your baby is well protected.
good stuff thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey guys I'm deploying come January and I wanted to know what I should do with the jeep for long term storage (ill be gone for about 8 months)

I was gonna put some fuel stabilizer in the tank along with disconnecting the battery cables. Aside from that I'm not what else I should be doing. It gets cold up here as well.
X2 what others have said. I would also add the specified amount of Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel and crankcase. It will help lubricate the fuel system, injector and upper cylinders. A little WD40 in the locks and hinges wouldn't hurt either.

BE SAFE!!:punk:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
When I put mine away for the winter, I also put it on Jack stands on the frame rails front and rear. Static weight on lift springs is not good in my opinion. I like to get the weight off of em so they don't sag faster down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts