Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on about a 1000 mile trip this Thursday . I wanted some pointers on some preventive work to ensure I get there and back . I just changed my oil , coolant , and fuel filter. Also throwing my stock tires on. And ideas of things I should check out before I take off?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I always carry TOOLS. A small set can save lots of time. Have a good trip.:thumb:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
yj93ben said:
I always carry TOOLS. A small set can save lots of time. Have a good trip.:thumb:
A big set saves even more

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
holyyj67 said:
make sure your spare tire is inflated you only make this mistake once..... trust me
Speaking from experience? Come to think of it... I've never checked that...

·
Registered
114 Posts
jkaufman_95 said:
Speaking from experience? Come to think of it... I've never checked that...
Yeah but I wasn't to far from home but it still socked to try and explain it to my dad.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.
Spare tire; check
Lots of tools check:)
Also what I listed above.
Anything motor or drivetrain wise you could think of?

·
Registered
504 Posts
don't forget your first aid and road side emergency kits....never know what's around the corner

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Unless your Jeep get a lot better gas mileage than mine, go rent a small car, pay for it with the money you save on gas. :eek:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
1CrzyCelt said:
But, the money he spends on a rental would not be worth the fun of driving his Jeep.
Driving a jeep cross country is not fun lol (at least mine with a suspension that rides like the tires are made of rock)
Oh and I'm 6'1 with long legs, that drivers area is cramped, now that being said, I've done 17 hour driving days in my jeep and will again, I'm stubborn lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well im getting about 17 highway so it's not horrible .im 19 , have no credit and I'm living on my own . So I couldnt get a rental anyways. I have about 400 dollars set aside for gas and about 250 for emergency

·
Registered
504 Posts
Driving a jeep cross country is not fun lol (at least mine with a suspension that rides like the tires are made of rock)
Oh and I'm 6'1 with long legs, that drivers area is cramped, now that being said, I've done 17 hour driving days in my jeep and will again, I'm stubborn lol
Why am I beginning to think you're nuts? lol :surrender:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
1CrzyCelt said:
Why am I beginning to think you're nuts? lol :surrender:
I am nuts lol
I need better meds. These ain't strong enough
Did I mention that I was going to Moab so I was a little excited?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am nuts lol
I need better meds. These ain't strong enough
Did I mention that I was going to Moab so I was a little excited?
as long as you're just a little excited. too much excitement while driving could result in getting arrested or molested, depending on who finds you first :rofl:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
1CrzyCelt said:
as long as you're just a little excited. too much excitement while driving could result in getting arrested or molested, depending on who finds you first :rofl:
:rofl: not like that... I need to be quiet or I'll get banned

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Do yourself a favor ... Before you hit the road, check your belt for cracks & dryness. Then check your radiator & heater hoses for cracks / dryness around the areas where they connect to the engine & heater core. Changing a belt & some hoses before a long trip can save you a lot of heartache. If you don't change them out, carry spares in the back, along with hose clamps & the tools to change everything. Another good thing to carry is pre-diluted coolant for the radiator/motor. (Doesn't matter if you dilute it yourself & pack it, or get the pre-diluted stuff, as long as it is good quality coolant.) Also, carry a few extra quarts of oil, transmission fluid, a bottle of power steering fluid, a bottle of brake fluid, & a gallon of good quality windshield wiper fluid.

If you're new to this, it's darn good idea to make sure you have plenty of blinker fluid too :thumb:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Do yourself a favor ... Before you hit the road, check your belt for cracks & dryness. Then check your radiator & heater hoses for cracks / dryness around the areas where they connect to the engine & heater core. Changing a belt & some hoses before a long trip can save you a lot of heartache. If you don't change them out, carry spares in the back, along with hose clamps & the tools to change everything. Another good thing to carry is pre-diluted coolant for the radiator/motor. (Doesn't matter if you dilute it yourself & pack it, or get the pre-diluted stuff, as long as it is good quality coolant.) Also, carry a few extra quarts of oil, transmission fluid, a bottle of power steering fluid, a bottle of brake fluid, & a gallon of good quality windshield wiper fluid.

If you're new to this, it's darn good idea to make sure you have plenty of blinker fluid too :thumb:
haha, blinker fluid
don't forget to put winter air in your tires....don't want to be driving on summer air, do ya? :rofl:

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
The Toolman said:
The only good blinker fluid comes from kale co auto . Com the other stuff is SH** autozone will tell you it doesn't exist but what do those parts monkeys know?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Make sure you've got AAA too. Not matter what you do to ensure you'll have a safe and comfortable trip, you never know when Murphy's Law strikes. It's worth the $50/year to have AAA available when you need them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts