Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyy just have a couple questions before i leave for ohio. The car we normally take just blew a cylinder so last resort were taking my 04 tj 2.4 with 48k miles. The trip is florida to ohio about 1200 miles, my concern is around 70 mph im at nearly 3k rpm should i plan on pulling over occasionally to let it cool down or am i just worrying about nothing..the jeeps flawless no problems, new tires and low miles. Any input helps thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I went from Phoenix AZ to Telluride, then Aspen, Marble, Goblin Valley, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, Brice Canyon, Capitol Reef, Zion, Kanab, and the Grand Canyon. My 2005 2.4L 6-speed was loaded to the gills and turning 31" BFGs. It was a 2200 mile loop. It burned a half quart of oil. I pushed it hard. No problems, 'cept for a smashed tailpipe.

It had over 100,000 mi on the odometer when I started.

FYI, the 2.4L has the same radiator as the 4.0L. Overheating is not a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My old Jeep was a 95 with a 4 banger. I was taking a shortcut through the desert from Vegas to San Diego when I blew out the oil sending unit. I didn't have any more oil or money, so I drove it with no oil all the way home. Got a new oil sending unit the next day, filled it up with new oil, and it ran just fine. Never did overheat.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Heyy just have a couple questions before i leave for ohio. The car we normally take just blew a cylinder so last resort were taking my 04 tj 2.4 with 48k miles. The trip is florida to ohio about 1200 miles, my concern is around 70 mph im at nearly 3k rpm should i plan on pulling over occasionally to let it cool down or am i just worrying about nothing..the jeeps flawless no problems, new tires and low miles. Any input helps thanks!
You shouldn't have any problem unless your radiator is in poor shape. I'd say take it easy though, I suspect you'll get much better fuel mileage if you keep it to 60 or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts