Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a call to Jeep, I found out that my new JKU Rubicon is scheduled to leave Jeep for my dealer next week. That means I will likely be able to take delivery somewhere around the 8th to the 10th of February.:)

Now the big question. I am planning a trip from NJ to northern NH that same weekend. It is 500 miles each way. Do I take a brand new Jeep with what will be only about 30 miles on it, maximum, on the trip, or do I tell the dealer to hang on to it for the week I am gone and pick it up when I get back?

I am concerned about proper engine break etc.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Captchris said:
After a call to Jeep, I found out that my new JKU Rubicon is scheduled to leave Jeep for my dealer next week. That means I will likely be able to take delivery somewhere around the 8th to the 10th of February.:)

Now the big question. I am planning a trip from NJ to northern NH that same weekend. It is 500 miles each way. Do I take a brand new Jeep with what will be only about 30 miles on it, maximum, on the trip, or do I tell the dealer to hang on to it for the week I am gone and pick it up when I get back?

I am concerned about proper engine break etc.

Thanks
I here it 2 ways

1- engines already broken in from the factory.

2- engine is limited by computer programming during break in, miles ??

No harm done either way (if true)

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can follow the recommended break-in procedures by not driving on the interstates for the first 300 miles, and varying your speeds. I didn't really follow my own advice here, and drove about 40 miles on the PA Turnpike while I drove home from the dealer. I think you should be OK to start enjoying your JKU right away. Have fun. If you are lucky, it will snow.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Find a forrest trail to get you to New Hampshire and enjoy!:thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The break-in period is only 500 miles. From the 2012 Owner's Guide: Drive moderately during the first 500 miles (800 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can follow the recommended break-in procedures by not driving on the interstates for the first 300 miles, and varying your speeds. I didn't really follow my own advice here, and drove about 40 miles on the PA Turnpike while I drove home from the dealer. I think you should be OK to start enjoying your JKU right away. Have fun. If you are lucky, it will snow.
I always felt that the first few hundred miles of a vehicle's life are the most important. I will never again buy a vehicle that has ever been test driven by anyone. (long story there) The trip is a mix of highway and non-highway roads. The highway parts, once you hit MA and VT are a lot of up and down hills. The last 90 miles are on a twisty, 2 lane blacktop. I just want to treat her right. It's my first Jeep!

I am praying for snow.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I drove mine 1000 miles the day after I bought it. Just did a lot of shifting to keep changing the rpms and did multiple full throttle accels starting in third gear while at highway speeds. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but 8700 miles later, all that worry is gone. Drive it, enjoy it, and don't get too stressed during the break in period.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Part of the break in procedure is to prevent the differential gears from over heating as they gain their normal wear pattern.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I know just about everyone says no problem and they're probably right. But, a few times when I had to drive from NJ to Maine and back I decided to do a rental, Ford Explorer, that came with unlimited mileage. Others I know do this in order to save wear and tear on their everyday vehicles. They were relatively cheap rentals and running those miles through CT and Mass where 95 is horrible it got beat up pretty bad. I do that now all the time and I don't care how many tractor trailers are throwing gravel at me. That's the upside to doing that. It works very well for me and my Rubi has been saved from alot of damage. I do enjoy driving it locally. That's just me. Do what's comfortable for you. If you take it try to follow the break in recomendations. There are options if you prefer not to right out of the box.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Take it. Follow what everyone is advising, then by the time you reach your destination, you have a broken in jeep. That way you can start enjoying it earlier. Besides, I'm sure there's some fun stuff to drive over up there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I drove from NJ to NM about a week after I bought my JKR 4.1 auto. Running great at 5,000 mi. Averaging about 20 mpg, great acceleration (when needed).

·
Registered
530 Posts
TAKE THE JEEP! when i bought my 08 sahara, it had 6 miles on it when i drove from north jersey to florida. i did leave in afternoon and caught rush hour, but i can assure you, i did some cruising at 70 for extended periods of time before i hit 500 miles. did first oil and filter change in florida, at 1200 miles and switched to m1, changed again at home with 2500 miles again used m1. not sure how, but this has become my daughters vehicle and now has close to 60000 miles, an 08 3.8, does not leak a drop of oil and runs fine.
although i didn't drive to florida, i treated my 12 the same way. you should be fine, anything that does go wrong in the future, will not be cause you drove to new hampshire.
i did try to avoid quick starts off the line so the trans and diffs could "break in". see if your dealer will check all fluid levels before you leave. also check with others to see how the stock rubicon tires handle snow and rain.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since there are clearly no dissenting votes, if she comes in and is ready to go, I'm going to take the Rubi for one long test drive. I will certainly take it easy and drive gently the whole way. I'm getting a little too old to "drive it like I stole it" but I sure will have some fun with it up there. That's what I bought it for!

Thanks for all the input. :wavey:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm moving to Denver starting Saturday taking the path below and my Jeep has about 310 miles. So it'll only have about 350 miles by the time I take it out for a 3 day 1800 mile trip. A few things I've done during my break in

-always let the engine warm up completely
-drove on and off the highway with speeds up to 80mph varying RPM's

Google Maps: Raleigh, NC to Denver, CO

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
It actually sounds like a great first adventure with your new Jeep.

Enjoy, and congrats!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had a lot of new vehicles over the years and every one of them gets driven the same way from day one till the day I get rid of it. Just drive it normal and dont worry so much, it has a warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts