Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been running Ion 171 Alloys 2 yrs now. Just noticed only about 3/4 inch thread engagement holding wheels on. Did some research and found specs on longer studs for alloys.

Only by Gods grace have we not had a wheel off yet. :)
Wanted to share this info:

All Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and standard Wrangler has the same lug studs from the factory. They only change to a different stud if the vehicle came with and alloy wheel.

The factory studs are 1/2 x 20 threads, 1 5/8" long with a front knurl diameter of .623 and a rear knurl diameter of .621 thousandths.

The replacement stud I found to work very well is the studs from the 2003 Wrangler Rubicon.

These studs are 1/2" x 20 threads, 1 15/16" long and have a knurl diameter of .627 thousandths. The larger diameter of the knurl still pulls through the axle hub easily enough and makes a very good tight fit that won't work loose. The longer length is perfect.

The Dorman part number 610-449 is also a hardened stud with a black industrial finish.

USE THESE STUDS, LONGER FOR ALLOYS
DORMAN 610-449
NAPA 641-4265

Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper
NAPA's part number for this stud is 641-4265. Nice find I'll add the info I found on em in the catalog system at work

here is all the info I have on them:

Attributes
Wheel Bolt Head Marks : 449 ABN
Wheel Bolt Knurl Dia. : .627"
Wheel Bolt Overall Length : 1 15/16"
Wheel Bolt Shoulder Length : 11/16"
Wheel Bolt Thread Size : 1/2"-20
Wheel Bolt Threads : Right Hand

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
interesting, but will a 5/16" make a difference?
I would have to answer yes, the jeep engineers obviously agree since the alloy wheels from the factory came with the longer studs. They don't change things for no reason, this would be a safety issue.

·
Registered
171 Posts
General rule is the diameter of lug stud is equal to the minimum amount of thread engagement. So 1/2" stud diameter needs to have at least 1/2" of thread engagement. 3/4" is plenty.

Good info though , as the normal mounting surface thickness is varying as more wheel manufactures emerge for different countries.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt measure it, but it looked like 1/2 to 3/4 engagement on old studs
. It didnt look like enough. One spec on factory lugs was 1.468 in length. This post showed 1 5/8. I was happy to find about 1/2 inch longer and still keep the Gorilla splines we have been running. I'm sure anyone with a wheel off or studs that have failed would welcome 1/2 inch additional thread engagemant is the reason I shared. If your interested, here it is..

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
General rule is the diameter of lug stud is equal to the minimum amount of thread engagement. So 1/2" stud diameter needs to have at least 1/2" of thread engagement. 3/4" is plenty.

Good info though , as the normal mounting surface thickness is varying as more wheel manufactures emerge for different countries.
And the jeep was built with 225/75/15's on it and it now has 33/12.50/15's on it....and you are correct I have increased wheel thickness by at least 1/2 inch

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have been running Ion 171 Alloys 2 yrs now. Just noticed only about 3/4 inch thread engagement holding wheels on. Did some research and found specs on longer studs for alloys.

Only by Gods grace have we not had a wheel off yet. :)
Wanted to share this info:

All Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and standard Wrangler has the same lug studs from the factory. They only change to a different stud if the vehicle came with and alloy wheel.

The factory studs are 1/2 x 20 threads, 1 5/8" long with a front knurl diameter of .623 and a rear knurl diameter of .621 thousandths.

The replacement stud I found to work very well is the studs from the 2003 Wrangler Rubicon.

These studs are 1/2" x 20 threads, 1 15/16" long and have a knurl diameter of .627 thousandths. The larger diameter of the knurl still pulls through the axle hub easily enough and makes a very good tight fit that won't work loose. The longer length is perfect.

The Dorman part number 610-449 is also a hardened stud with a black industrial finish.

USE THESE STUDS, LONGER FOR ALLOYS
DORMAN 610-449
NAPA 641-4265

Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper
NAPA's part number for this stud is 641-4265. Nice find I'll add the info I found on em in the catalog system at work

here is all the info I have on them:

Attributes
Wheel Bolt Head Marks : 449 ABN
Wheel Bolt Knurl Dia. : .627"
Wheel Bolt Overall Length : 1 15/16"
Wheel Bolt Shoulder Length : 11/16"
Wheel Bolt Thread Size : 1/2"-20
Wheel Bolt Threads : Right Hand
Thanks this info saved me today. Does anyone know if these works on the rear also? Or maybe the 2003 Rubicon rears?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it does work rear as well. Glad it helped, Happy Spring Jeepin'

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
General rule is the diameter of lug stud is equal to the minimum amount of thread engagement. So 1/2" stud diameter needs to have at least 1/2" of thread engagement. 3/4" is plenty. Good info though , as the normal mounting surface thickness is varying as more wheel manufactures emerge for different countries.
^ correct

If it makes you feel better to change to longer studs, that is fine. However, 3/4" is plenty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts