Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 2011 JK 2-door sport from Colorado to Key West Florida and back. 4978 miles round trip in 2 weeks. Averaged 21 MPG. Stopped in Wichita Falls TX, Baton Rouge LA, Daytona Beach, Ft Myers, Gainesville FL, Nashville TN and Blue Springs MO.

When I left Key West it was 88 and when I pulled Into Denver it was 32 and snowing!

I removed the back seat so my wife and I would have more room for luggage. I have to say that I was totally pleased on how it drove and had no issues at all with it. I am pissed at a dump truck in Atlanta that dropped rocks and pitted my windshield.

Any one else take a long trip this year? I think I saw someone on the forum was driving across Canada and Alaska.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
that's an impressive amount of country side there Phil!!!...verging on the 'Iron Butt' award if you ask me!

I've taken my 08JK on lesser runs of around 1500 in 3-4 days, and have one coming up this week about that distance. It is not so hard to average 20+ in mine either.
I get far more enjoyment out of Jeeping regardless of where the road leads.

·
Registered
750 Posts
A guy in another forum, went to Alaska and back.

Planning that trip for the summer of 2014

Glad you enjoyed your trip

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
this summer i drove from portland down to the grand canyon with 4 people and full camping gear hitting almost every spot on the way there and back. we clocked about 4k miles. absolutely flawless all the way. The AC was amazing, even with the soft top and 115 degrees.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I drove a cross country trip with my daughter 2 years ago. We went through 21 states total. From Tn/Va border to The St Louis Arch, to Mt Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Yellowstone, Salt Lakes, Vegas, Red Rocks, Grand Canyon, The Alamo, New Orleans, then Back home. It was in the upper 4000 range too but don't remember the exact mileage. Hope to be able to do it again someday.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I do WI to VA or NC several times a year. Only about 1,000 miles (one way), but I do it all in one shot, non-stop, each way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
About 2 months ago I took my son to Tennessee from Washington State for college. Came back by myself through Colorado to see Pikes Peak then back home. About 6000 miles, 20 to 21 miles to the gallon and had a blast! Dubya performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Labor Day week I drove from the Atlanta area out to Colorado and back. Went to Great Sand Dunes then went up and did some wheelin around Silverton and Ouray. Then went down to Mesa Verde National Park, over to Monument Valley then back home. Only got between 17 and 18 mpg in my 11 2 door but who cares I had a hell of a good time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went from central florida to Long Island NY to NW PA for the Bantam Jeep Festival (this year) then back down to Central Florida. 3600 miles on the clock when i got back... that was on 37" tires with a 3.5" lift... a soft top... a roof rack with no wind fairing and when we left LI to go to PA and back to florida i had a 16' Kayak strapped to the rack and a cargo carrier attached to the trailer hitch with my spare 37" tire and a mountain bike! haha

Here is what she looked like the morning we left LI for PA

·
Registered
899 Posts
I just took my 2011 JK 2-door sport from Colorado to Key West Florida and back. 4978 miles round trip in 2 weeks. Averaged 21 MPG. Stopped in Wichita Falls TX, Baton Rouge LA, Daytona Beach, Ft Myers, Gainesville FL, Nashville TN and Blue Springs MO.

When I left Key West it was 88 and when I pulled Into Denver it was 32 and snowing!

I removed the back seat so my wife and I would have more room for luggage. I have to say that I was totally pleased on how it drove and had no issues at all with it. I am pissed at a dump truck in Atlanta that dropped rocks and pitted my windshield.

Any one else take a long trip this year? I think I saw someone on the forum was driving across Canada and Alaska.
Glad to hear that it performed so well. I have only done small trips 3-4hrs each way and was very impressed that this soft top (unlimited) SUV is relatively quiet and handles better than expected at highway speeds. I am not surprised it does well on much longer trips.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just comlpeted a 3,000+ mile trip from Maitland FL to Chalfont PA to Spanish Fort Al and back to Maitland in 6 days in my '07 JKU. The third day was spent at a weddng in PA. The best mileage was 18.6, but who really cares.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I once drove 7 miles without anything breaking. Then something broke, so i turn around and went home.

·
Registered
157 Posts
^^^ lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I spent six months and 20,000 miles touring the USA in a 2010 four door. Loaded it up with bikes and kayaks for my wife and I. Pushing those boats through the wind and hauling that camping gear dropped the mpg down to 17. The ride was loud and rough by car standards but the jeep got us to some great camp sites. I would do it again, but I'd leave the kayaks home and rent as needed.

Best Jeep destination, Moab! The visitor center will recommend trails based on your rig. In my case, easy ones with amazing views. You can go canyoning, mountain biking, and kayaking there too. Rappelling through a canyon then off an arch is pretty cool. Great Sand Dunes Colorado is worth a weekend too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts