Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m Thomas I’m 54 and Nice to meet you. looking to buy my first jeep to use on the pipeline for working. Found a 1989 what’s 100,000 miles on it, automatic transmission 4.2 straight six. I think I can get it for $5500. Looks clean no rust good tires. All original . What do you think yes or no.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,405 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Since this is our New Member check-in Forum, you should receive more response
to your questions from the link to the Forum below:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/

^^^The members in the above Forum, should be more qualified to answer you question. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH.........

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I’m Thomas I’m 54 and Nice to meet you. looking to buy my first jeep to use on the pipeline for working. Found a 1989 what’s 100,000 miles on it, automatic transmission 4.2 straight six. I think I can get it for $5500. Looks clean no rust good tires. All original What do you think yes or no.
Welcome

We give better advice with photos :)

To attach photos to thread (Wrangler forum method)

1. Go Advanced (under message box)

2. Scroll down to manage attachments (attach files)

3. Another window will open, Choose File, Upload

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi and welcome. I have a 1988 and will tell you there is some pluses and minuses. The age does make parts a little hard to find, and the age means there may be things that will need replaced. But if you drive every day you will have to maintain the 89 anyway. With that said you have a full frame vehicle which makes it much safer than a newer vehicle. You will want a trans cooler and may have issues with heat as most jeepers do with that engine. The engine is almost indestructible and there is many things you can cheaply do to make the jeep even more fun. Buy a good impact wrench and dont use it for lengthening. I think the price may be a little high. Have them here starting at 1200 bucks to about the price your quoting.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Welcome

We give better advice with photos :)

To attach photos to thread (Wrangler forum method)

1. Go Advanced (under message box)

2. Scroll down to manage attachments (attach files)

3. Another window will open, Choose File, Upload
He's right, but you may have to have a few more posts before adding pics,

5500 is a good price for a complete YJ in above fair to good shape around the phoenix area.

I have and '88 and '89 and honestly Don't care for the emissions setup. Both ran like crap with the old stuff and needed work done to get it up to Daily Driver status. If you plan on keeping it stock and a DD you may want to hold out for a 91-95 with the 4.0 for ease of parts and maintenance. Don't get me wrong I love my 4.2's and wouldn't trade them for anything. I take my 89 everywhere at anytime with no worries except getting wet. LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was planning on getting an 89 ended up buying a 99

Yes I started out with a 1989 jeep wrangler 100,000 miles on it no AC automatic. For $6000. I could not talk him down any I thought that was a little steep. So I found a 1999 Jeep wrangler sport with 119000 5 speed for $5800 and I love it. The only thing I found wrong is it grinds in fourth and fifth gear Slightly. 16 or 17 miles to the gallon. Everything else works. AC is ice cold 4x4 high and low works wonderful. I do wish I had the original rims these are really wide and cause it to drive a little sketchy. Also they change the speed by 5 to 6 miles an hour. As soon as I can find someone to trade or find some originals I’m gonna grab them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well it looks clean anyway, try draining the transmission and filling it with either Amsoil 75-90 GL4, Redline 75-90 GL4, or your choice of synthetic 10w-30.

In many cases people have filled their transmissions with a GL5 fluid that is corrosive to the synchros, or it has been neglected for some time.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
You can swap out the speedo gear to correct the MPH reading. Looks like it's sitting pretty good, Those are classic Jeep wheels, don't know if they ever came stock on the TJ's, but that's what I ran on my '98 Grand Cherokee. You may want to check out your front end bearings and steering gear.

Nice looking ride though...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Was planning on getting an 89 ended up buying a 99

Yes I started out with a 1989 jeep wrangler 100,000 miles on it no AC automatic. For $6000. I could not talk him down any I thought that was a little steep. So I found a 1999 Jeep wrangler sport with 119000 5 speed for $5800 and I love it. The only thing I found wrong is it grinds in fourth and fifth gear Slightly. 16 or 17 miles to the gallon. Everything else works. AC is ice cold 4x4 high and low works wonderful. I do wish I had the original rims these are really wide and cause it to drive a little sketchy. Also they change the speed by 5 to 6 miles an hour. As soon as I can find someone to trade or find some originals I’m gonna grab them.
It seems like you did good.
I DD an 89 and absolutely love it.
But, as got it at last explained, you’re probably better off with something like you got.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts