Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been away from a Jeep for awhile now. Almost got one a couple years ago, but sold house and built another. Now it’s time to get one. Used Jeep’s right now are getting ridiculous, but I may have found a nice one reasonably priced. It’s a 08 2d Rubicon with what looks like a 2” lift or more with 315 tires. It only has 54000 miles on it. The guy bought it 3 years ago the way it looks, but only put 3000 miles on it. Got a carfax and no issues came up. So what should i look for or know issues? Here is a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Make sure the lockers actually work, like test drive on dirt road and actuate them.
Make sure the sway bar disco works.
If the speedo reading is correct, find out if it has a procal or something that needs to go with the vehicle. Not sure how jscan etc works.
Frame rust.
Exhaust header cracks, especially the driver's side. Unfortunately it happens under the heat shield so you have to remove that to check, or look for exhaust carbon around the heat shield.
Exhaust flange bolts tend to back out on their own. Check those, again look for carbon in the flange area.
Good luck. Loved my 08. Then some ass totalled it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The guy who owns it owns a repair garage and said we can put it on the lift. So hopefully he took care of it, yet only put on 3000 miles. Tires and wheels look almost new also. Looks to be like $3000 right there.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Thank you. The guy who owns it owns a repair garage and said we can put it on the lift. So hopefully he took care of it, yet only put on 3000 miles. Tires and wheels look almost new also. Looks to be like $3000 right there.
Looks in beautiful shape, and none of what I listed is impossible to fix nor a certainty as a problem, just common.
Auto or manual? The auto is a bit of a pig for 07-11 JK, but the 4.10's help a ton, I had no issue with my 33's and auto trans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a manual, but has 35” tires. Hopefully won’t be to big of a pig on the road. Does $17,000 seem fair for a 08? I’ve been looking for awhile and see some ridiculous price. Some dealers are asking more then what the Jeep cost brand new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’ve been away from a Jeep for awhile now. Almost got one a couple years ago, but sold house and built another. Now it’s time to get one. Used Jeep’s right now are getting ridiculous, but I may have found a nice one reasonably priced. It’s a 08 2d Rubicon with what looks like a 2” lift or more with 315 tires. It only has 54000 miles on it. The guy bought it 3 years ago the way it looks, but only put 3000 miles on it. Got a carfax and no issues came up. So what should i look for or know issues? Here is a pic of it. View attachment 4507110 View attachment 4507111
I have 2010 with the 3.8, 6spd, It just keeps on keeping on, no issues, knock on wood

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This is a manual, but has 35” tires. Hopefully won’t be to big of a pig on the road. Does $17,000 seem fair for a 08? I’ve been looking for awhile and see some ridiculous price. Some dealers are asking more then what the Jeep cost brand new.
That's a good price in my area, for ones that don't look near as good or as low miles. FWIW.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Drive it. Then go drive a JL just so you know the difference. I had an 08 Rubicon manual 4.1 gears and it was gutless. Mine was a four door though. See if he will let you drive it up a decent sized hill at highway speeds. That is where the 08s lack of power will show up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used jeep prices are very high right now because companies like vroom and carvana are buying all the stock out there. I placed mine on knoxville Craigslist yesterday pricing it at what I thought was consistent with the current market trend but then was so embarrassed by my own price I lowered it considerably. Dealer auction price according to my local clerks office is nearly what I paid for clean retail 4 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way to tell what lift is on the Jeep? It has silver spring and shock bodies and looks like track bars also. Didn't see any markings, but really didn't get under it. Just wondering if there is a way to see what is on it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I would check for cowl dents but I wouldn't let that deter me from purchasing, might help negotiations

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He wanted $18,000, so getting him to $17,000 I’m happy with considering what other prices are out there. I drove it today, and everything seemed to work great. A little wondering on back road, but did fine on main road. But 35” tires will do that.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
He wanted $18,000, so getting him to $17,000 I’m happy with considering what other prices are out there. I drove it today, and everything seemed to work great. A little wondering on back road, but did fine on main road. But 35” tires will do that.
Looks and sounds like a good deal. If the pictures were taken when you drove it I understand the wandering a bit, those tires look quite full of air judging by the dirt on the tread and none on the inner or outer shoulders. Just an assumption, still looks and sounds a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Check the tire pressure. I run 35s at around 33 PSI cold.

Congrats on the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just gonna list some of the things I just replaced on our 2010 JKUR that we bought new for you to look at.
-New (Used off of a 2017) premium soft top. The stock 2010 was leaking bad at the end of last season and the rear window ripped when I took it off in the fall.
-Sway bar disconnect took a dump and took the entire Jeep with it. Seems all electrical systems are routed through this. Had a manual "EVO" system installed.
-Front ball joints-had the Dynatrac Pro steer package installed.
-front axle shaft u joints and seals
-Tie rod assembly, had the steer smarts YETI extreme duty unit installed
-Bottom drag link, had the YETI XD bottom mount drag link installed
-Trans cooler lines replaced

Had all of these done in the last 6 months or so. First real repairs in the 11 years and nearly 160,000 miles I've had this rig. All of the above are wear items except the sway bar disconnect motor.

Also need to fix the following:
-Driver side exhaust manifold, it has the dreaded crack, just gonna do both in the fall/winter coming up.
-Rear main seal-oil leak, not sure at this point if I'm gonna replace this yet.

The Jeep you're looking at looks good and the price seems right.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Ah, the leaks, good point. Check the rear cargo area, under the cover, where the jack is stored. My 08 leaked into that area bad. I just left out the drain plugs and moved the jack.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
With the 3.8 it is fairly common the have a leaking upper oil pan gasket. Look for oil drips under the engine. Thankfully it is a pretty easy repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doing some digging, looks like the lift is a Rough Country 3 1/2” SUSPENSION KIT
W/ ROUGH COUNTRY N2.0 SHOCK ABSORBER. Looks to be installed correct and put on in 2017. I went of shock measurements that I found on this site to determine lift heigh, and it was right at 22” from the 18.5 stock heigh. So no sag in 4 years. It also has the 730n radio with nav, but still not great with roof off. Also can’t seem to pair wife’s iPhon. Power isn’t bad, but it’s no sports car. So for now, I’m happy.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Doing some digging, looks like the lift is a Rough Country 3 1/2” SUSPENSION KIT
W/ ROUGH COUNTRY N2.0 SHOCK ABSORBER. Looks to be installed correct and put on in 2017. I went of shock measurements that I found on this site to determine lift heigh, and it was right at 22” from the 18.5 stock heigh. So no sag in 4 years. It also has the 730n radio with nav, but still not great with roof off. Also can’t seem to pair wife’s iPhon. Power isn’t bad, but it’s no sports car. So for now, I’m happy.
Congratulations. Enjoy your new (to you) Jeep. Regarding iPhone pairing, mine stopped when I upgraded to a newer model IPhone. It appears that Uconnect stopped updating their software at some point for the older head units.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts