Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a 1973 CJ5 and have a couple of questions. The one I am looking at appears to be stock. It has a 3 speed with a 304 V8 that the owner thinks only has about 50,000 miles on it. It has been a ranch/hunting Jeep since new. The paint job is poor (rattle can), but the body is straight with no real rust. The frame has a repair plate welded on the front passenger side. It has good rubber on the ground. He is asking $6250 and I think I can get it for a little less. He just has it inspected and licensed (new tags in March). I think the price is decent.

I would mainly use it on my hunting property with a drive back and forth to my house. It’s about a 15 mile highway speed trip.

What kind of comfortable cruising speed should I expect? I was thinking it would be fine at 60-65mph, but the seller has never had it over 50mph.

Any other advice is appreciated

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I had the same Jeep and would not use the word "comfortable" to describe any aspect of the Jeep.

Great vehicle, tons of power. They have a tendency to wander a little at highway speeds, but for what you want it for, it should be a good fit.

Take it out on the road for a test drive and see how she does.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
160 Posts
My first Jeep was a 73 CJ5 with a 304 and 3 speed trans, I had 31 inch tires with 3.73 gears. I had no problem with 60-65 on the freeway. I later changed out to a 360 AMC and a Chevy TH350 automatic trans. I sold it last year for $9500.

Reactions: George Ross

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At $5,500 and climbing.

and ended at $9500. It seems like most of them in good shape go for around that price.

·
Registered
561 Posts
CJ's are really hit or miss with their prices. Some of them sell cheap, others not so much. It's one of those cars you need to be on top of to find a good deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts