Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background.

I've owned up to 2008 (2 1995 YJ's and 1 1999 TJ).

Figuring it's time to get back into a Jeep.

At first I was looking at 1999-2006 TJ's', but recently thinking I should also consider a JK.

It's an X model, 6m with hard top/soft top with 69k miles and they're asking a little over 17k.

From my research it's been on the lot for over 100 days, which is a concern, but could be because of the 6m. Looks like it had the airbag recall done.

What should I be concerned about since I know nothing about JK's?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
That one has the 3.8 engine and it's very slow. The 3.6 JK is much better. I have experienced them both. Try to get a 3.6 engine. I don't believe they started until 2012.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That one has the 3.8 engine and it's very slow. The 3.6 JK is much better. I have experienced them both. Try to get a 3.6 engine. I don't believe they started until 2012.
Thank you but you want to talk slow. I had a 1975 Datsun B210 75HP....0-60 18 seconds.

If I want to go fast I pull my Mustang out of the garage.

You don't buy a Jeep to go fast, like you don't buy a Mustang for good MPG.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Thank you but you want to talk slow. I had a 1975 Datsun B210 75HP....0-60 18 seconds.

If I want to go fast I pull my Mustang out of the garage.

You don't buy a Jeep to go fast, like you don't buy a Mustang for good MPG.
haha, I like it!
My first car was a 1979 Datsun 210.
I just got back from a day/road trip to the country to do some wheelin, shooting, and watch the Eclipse. My old 2009 Rubicon did just fine on and off-road. Just under 18 mpg, 70-75 mph up and down hills, through the creek and through the woods.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a 2010 with 3.8, it's a tried and proven engine and I haven't had any problems out of it. No, it's not a hole shot racer but it had done good for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, those are the basic steelies that come on JK's. According to the ad, they're asking less than $15K now. I'd offer them $13,500 and hold strong at $14K. The 3.8s are not hot rods, but they do get the job done.
Jeep's been on the lot for 62 days and they've only lowered it once by $200.

If I did consider it, the rims would have to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Thanks
Your initial post said they were asking $17K and it had been on the lot for 100 days. The ad you pasted says $14795. I'm confused.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Thanks
Rims for low riders.
You could score some nice new Rubicon take offs for $600-$1k with brand new tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 09 with the 3.8 and the 6 speed. Great combination. While it won't win many drag races, it's stone cold reliable. Also, I like the interior in the 09 better than the later ones. A little more rugged looking to me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different JK.

This is the one for 17k and now on the lot for 101 days.

https://www.dchacademyhonda.com/vehicle-details/used-2009-jeep-wrangler-x-1J8FA241X9L701705

Thought?
Took this out for a test drive this evening and sorry to say it just didn't wow me. I think I really shocked the sales person and manager when I mentioned that I previously had YJ and a TJ but this JK to me just didn't feel like a Jeep.

It did ride good but didn't do it for me and I really tried to like it.

So it's back to looking for a TJ.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
get what makes you happy,
Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Are you asking if you're getting a good deal or not?

cars.com and autotrader.com are your friend to figure that out.

I have a 2009 JKU with the 3.8L. I love it. The 3.8L while it won't win any races, it's a very reliable engine. Many on these forums with well over 200K on that engine. Mine has 137K of trouble free miles on it and still runs like a top.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
402 Posts
My 2008 JK w/3.8: 0 - 60... YES! :lmao:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts