Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Seriously ready to trade in my 2009 Mustang GT for a Wrangler Unlimited. I'm in Colorado, and I'll use the Unlimited as my daily driver, plus heading up dirt roads in pretty poor condition during hunting season. Think mud, some rocks, but I don't really plan on rock crawling. I'm trying to choose between an Unlimited Rubicon, or a Sport model. If I go the sport model, I'll get the limited slip rear differential. Question is - do I need to go with a Rubicon to get through muddy, snow covered, rough dirt roads in wintertime without chains? Or will the sport unlimited suffice, plus the joy of saving a good bit on the purchase price? If i go with the rubicon, probably wouldn't change anything on the jeep, other than a roof rack. If i go sport, might upgrade to larger tires - equivalent of what is on the Rubicon, plus a roof rack.
From what I've read, even sports without the rear limited slip are capable, so is the Rubicon overkill for my needs? Cost isn't too much of an issue, although I'll save money any chance I get.
Thanks!

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Seriously ready to trade in my 2009 Mustang GT for a Wrangler Unlimited. I'm in Colorado, and I'll use the Unlimited as my daily driver, plus heading up dirt roads in pretty poor condition during hunting season. Think mud, some rocks, but I don't really plan on rock crawling. I'm trying to choose between an Unlimited Rubicon, or a Sport model. If I go the sport model, I'll get the limited slip rear differential. Question is - do I need to go with a Rubicon to get through muddy, snow covered, rough dirt roads in wintertime without chains? Or will the sport unlimited suffice, plus the joy of saving a good bit on the purchase price? If i go with the rubicon, probably wouldn't change anything on the jeep, other than a roof rack. If i go sport, might upgrade to larger tires - equivalent of what is on the Rubicon, plus a roof rack.
From what I've read, even sports without the rear limited slip are capable, so is the Rubicon overkill for my needs? Cost isn't too much of an issue, although I'll save money any chance I get.
Thanks!
If all you're doing is running through some mud, snow, and dirt roads, don't even waste your money on a Rubicon UNLESS it's something you've wanted for a long time.

I bought a Rubicon, went off-roading, and decided it just wasn't something I enjoyed. I can dig some mud, streams, and fire trails, but rock beds and rocks in general just suck, IMO. I like going where cars won't, but not violently bouncing around through rocks.

My goal was to get a Rubicon, so I got a Rubicon. You don't seem to care which one you wind up with, so go for the Sport.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am looking at a '13 Unlimited too, and am not an expert.. here is what the dealer told me.

The biggest difference between teh two is the ability of the rubicon to have much more flex (something with unlocking the font link thingie)... he said that if I wanted to crawl over things (like rocks) then the rubicon is the way to go. It has little to do with the ability to go through mud and snow...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am looking at a '13 Unlimited too, and am not an expert.. here is what the dealer told me.

The biggest difference between teh two is the ability of the rubicon to have much more flex (something with unlocking the font link thingie)... he said that if I wanted to crawl over things (like rocks) then the rubicon is the way to go. It has little to do with the ability to go through mud and snow...
He's referring to the disconnecting the front sway bar, which the rubicon is able to do and the sport S isnt. The Reason Why You Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar. - YouTube

1 - 5 of 5 Posts