Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a 97 SE Wrangler with 164k miles, 2.5l i4 auto with some usual body rust and a bad frame.
It needs the trailing arm section of the frame replaced on the drivers side (It's quite bad, not even sure if it will make it the 15 miles home before it breaks in half)
They've dropped their price to $2800 and I think i can get it for around $2k if not lower because of the frame (they're advertising it as a good running summer toy ready to go, ha)
It blue books around $3800 in good condition in my area. (this one is far from good)
Would it be worth it to buy and fix at $2k?
Would be using the Saf T cap parts and doing the labor myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
x2, it may be worth 500-1k if willing to part it out.

if one part of the frame is that bad, its likely that the whole frame needs to be replaced

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would not consider a TJ with any sort of frame rot. There are plenty out there and I’m sure the right one will come along before you know it. I just went through this buying my ‘97.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
A 97' in great condition with those miles and a crap auto (4 banger) wouldn't be worth $2800 to me. I did pay $1500 for my first "wrangler" YJ back in the day. I sold it for $5000 with 198,000 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife's 98 TJ had frame rot. I bought sections that are made for fixing this issue. It was a pretty big job cutting out the rust and welding in the new pieces. A friend had the same problem and he bought a new frame and finished his over a weekend or two. I wouldn't spend much more than a grand for it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No. If its max value is 2600 to 3k, the work you’ll put in exceeds the value. And to boot, 4cyl are harder to sell. Least in comparison to a beater 6cyl.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Unless you are desperate, walk away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I paid $1,200 for a one owner 1997 Sahara with frame rust but nearly flawless body and runs great. They are asking too much for an SE with rust issues. My TJ was definitely worth saving, and I used frame caps to replace the lower sections on both sides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts