Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and I need some quick advice!!!! I've never bought a used vehicle before, so I'm in the dark here.

It's a 95 but I probably won't be coming home with it unless it's perfect and he bumps the price down. But since I'm looking for a jeep and plan on spending the rest of the summer looking at them, I'd appreciate any advice you guys have to give.

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Looking to add another Jeep to the stable... NICE! What are you going to use it for? Daily driver? Trail only? Put it up on blocks and let it rust in the front yard just to spite your neighbors?

Seriously though, you want to check out the frame and make sure it isn't rusted through anywhere (may not be an issue where you are, but here in MI it is a major problem). Take it out and drive it with the radio off and listed for any odd noises, or any vibration. I am not aware of any major issues that the newest YJ's had. I am sure someone will chime in with something though! Good luck!

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Go ahead and go square, Tiny. We would love to have you in our brotherhood, sista.

·
6,177 Posts
What to look for...

Frame: rust and any signs of damage. Shock mounts, spring mounts, ect. Look for rust or misalignment.
Fluids: Look at all the fluids. Signs of moisture in the fluids, leaks, condition of the oil will tell you somewhat if the vehicle has been maintained.
Leaks: Signs of fluids around the pinion seals, rear main, brake lines, brake cylinders, valve covers, head, transmission and transfer case.
Pull back the carpet if there is any and look at the floor pans for rust.
Sight down the body panels for uneven spots, you can even take a magnet with you to check for bondo. Cracks in the paint.
Look at the fender liners under the hood for signs of rust or damage.
check out all the electricals to be sure everything works, turn signals, gauges, accessories.

Obviously drive it and look for vibes, squeaks, noises. You should be able to get a feel for the torque and power while you drive. See if it tracks true when you let go of the steering wheel on level ground. See if it smokes any during acceleration. Check out the 4 wheel drive to make sure it shifts in and out.

Never hurts to get a carfax report.

Hope this helps some, not an all inclusive list, but a good starting point.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Go ahead and get the unlimited carflax report, so you can run as many VIN#'s as you want. Get under that hood and see what it looks like under it. Ask the guy lots of questions, like has it ever been wheeled, how many people who have owned ect ect ect.

Smell the oil to see if it smells burnt.
Take it for a test drive
mainly go over it with a fine tooth comb.

If you do find one you are intrested in, pay the 100 bucks and have a professional from carfax go and give it a head to toe inspection. If your going to to shell out good money it might as well be worth it, Im for sure glad that me and odhinn did our research before buying my jeep. Its a diamond

~Lev

·
Registered
529 Posts
Uh-Uh somebody got the Jeep bug....................

·
6,177 Posts
Pandemic.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Tiny. Go with your gut. Ask any question that comes to your mind. And if you feel like it's ok, then it's probably ok. Look up private party blue book for your area. www.kbb.com Then using that number as a base, subtract from it based on it's condition. I'm sure that you'll do fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Oh DAMN! :D

·
Registered
529 Posts

LOL...you're lucky you live so far away,I'm so bored right now watching the Yankees VS the Giants,I'd hang out with you right about now.................:p

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Oh we can babe. :cool:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
3 some? lol

·
Registered
529 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I scared him when I crawled up under it and came out with greasy hands. Damn thing had never been in 4 wheel drive and the leafs are flat as flat can be, but, it's in good condition and the engine ain't bad for a 4 banger. Started right up, no vibes, never been modded.

I'm still not sure if I want to go with a 4 cylinder so I told him I'd get back to him. I want to have the vin checked out because he said he'd lost the title but had a pink slip (?) and I'd like to have a mechanic look it over before I offer or as a condition of an offer.

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
I think you should go with a 6 and this is coming from my vast experience. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts