Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a newbie. Started posting 2 weeks ago. Wife and son had me talked into a JKU. My daughter and I went a drove one Saturday. (daughter and I previously only wanted JK). I thought we were all settled on a JKU. But daughter insists that in her opinion she wants a 2 door.

Now before folks comment that dad ought to just get what he wants...my daughter just finished battling recurrent cancer... So I really want to get something that she and I can pal around in.

This car will just be my toy to go to some land we have and drive around town. Probably will never see significant off roading, at least not compared to what real enthusiasts put there jeeps through.

So, I started looking on cars.com and essentially I find several 06's with less than 45k miles for $18k. All have clean carfax's.

So how do I determine if they are a decent enough car. I've got plenty of cash to customize them...but I don't know anything about engines etc.

Can you take them to a dealer to get inspected?

Advice please.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Look for any leaks rust etc. which are all pretty easy to spot. I highly suggest you bring it to your local mechanic. I brought all 4 of the ones I looked at seriously to my mechanic and it prevented me from wasting my money 3 times. He drove it he banged it with a wrench and did his thing as I let him be. He gave me a full blown report and I could make my decision from there. Every person I asked if I could take it to a mechanic had no problem with me doing so. Handed me the keys as said "Let me know when you're done."

That is just my two cents.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you are new to the jeep world, I would take it to get inspected as well. Most of the stuff that can go wrong is easy to fix, but it's better to be safe than sorry. For the '06 specifically, there were a small handful of the 4.0 six's that had oil pump gear problems that resulted in some fairly torn-up motors, so i'd make sure that gets checked out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm lovin my '06 TJ!! I personal like the styling of the TJ better than the JK. But do what ya want! I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2006 LJ and I am in the process of having my motor rebuilt with a Stroker because of the OPDA problem. I love my LJ but my brother has a 2010 JK and it's been a very good vehicle since he got it. In my opinion, get the JK.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just ask for the Car FOX!:thumb:

2006 TJ, good choice! Get the 4.0L You will love it!

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
How to avoid a lemon? Usually I would say buy a brand new one, but there are a few around here with bad heads. I mean their 2012 wranglers not the members/owners. Ok, maybe a little of both.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I have an '04 TJ Sport. I purchased a '12 Sport "off the lot". Looking at the "facts"...IMO you would be better served with a JK.

1.) Daughter has recurring cancer...am glad things are fine now..and PRAY that they always will be. Jks ride a lot smoother, and your daughter may not be as comfortable in a TJ for as long.

2.) Not looking for a "Major" off road vehicle..Pal around with your daughter..part of the reason some Jeep people don't like JKs is JKs are "too car like" and since it is to be used more in that manner (on the road) a JK would make more sense. IMO

3.) Money for Mods/ cash to customize not an issue. Your daughter could help "customize", and it would be making it more her own/ be a part off if you are doing it yourself/together.

Following that train of thought---it is much easier to take off "brand new" bolts than bolts that have rusted froze up for the last 6 years. even for a girl/ daughter.

A Brand new STRIPPED down JK is about 22K, and would last a long time and have a warranty.

Prayers for you and your family...and congrats on beating the illness! Let her pick the color!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
The '06 4.0s have better fuel economy and power than older TJs, but some do have the pump gear problem. That can be inspected, and fixed before major damage occurs. (The failed pump gear can tear up the pump/ignition timing drive gear on the camshaft). Watch out for the 3.07 axled ratios commmon on many stock TJs. That is barely OK on the flats, and not good at all in the mountains or with oversized wheels.

...the JK has a new engine for 2012. More power and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the feedback. I really tried to go get a JKU, and my friend's all-fancied-up JKU let us take it out....but my daughter and I wanted a 2 door.

So we bought it saturday. Attached is a pic. I'll be starting a new thread asking some questions on tires/lifts...

I saw that folks on here recommend adrenaline off road, in maryland. I called the owner and will likely get some mods done by him.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice looking TJ Rubicon !

Auto or stick ?

·
Registered
549 Posts
looks great, but you need some mud on her now. have fun...

·
Registered
470 Posts
EXCELLENT CHOICE! Don't forget to wave:wavey:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had completely forgotten how jeep folks wave at each other. I had a cj-7 in high school and it immediately came back to me as probably 10 people waved yesterday.

Boo (daughter) and I took it out yesterday but the place I bought it had just detailed it...so we're waiting til Friday to take it to our land and muddy it up. She's as happy as can be and is psyched that she'll get to drive it before her older brother this weekend as he and mom are off skiing this weekend.

Also, wife called twice on phone saying she was now noticing jeeps everywhere and wanted to take it for her daily commute a few days a week too.

Lastly, we sold my 97 4runner with 185k miles in November so we haven't had a vehicle to ride with the dogs in...Ginger got to go for a dog ride last night in it and appears to like the jeep as much as I do.

Automatic. I wanted both kids to be able to drive it. My daughter won't be big enough for a clutch for a few years. Plus, I'm getting to be an old fart and honestly didn't want a clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts