Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an 07 unlimited sahara
70k miles
I'm coming from a 99 tj so I've seen frame rot, just curious need opinions

Front passenger

Passenger side(drivers looks the same

Rear

·
Retired Moderator
100,657 Posts
Yep, it doesn't look very good! But it is very normal is certain parts of the country, because of the snow, ice and salt issues, from the highway.
Now is it really going to hurt anything, probably not.

About the only way to find a 2007 wrangler, without rust, or at least minimal, is to purchase one from a dry climate. Southern Arizona, Southern Nevada, desert area's of California, or southern Texas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had first hand experience with wrenching on rusty Jeeps (XJ and TJ). Bottom line, I got so sick of busting knuckles, using torches, and breaking bolts, that I sold everything and went to a brand new JK. Rust sucks, I'd stay away!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, it doesn't look very good! But it is very normal is certain parts of the country, because of the snow, ice and salt issues, from the highway.

About the only way to find a 2007 wrangler, without rust, or at least minimal, is to purchase one from a dry climate. Southern Arizona, Southern Nevada, desert area's of California, or southern Texas.
Thanks, I took it back and told them I would think about it. I just don't want to get into something I'm going to have frame rot in a few years...
I've got those problems with my 99.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had first hand experience with wrenching on rusty Jeeps (XJ and TJ). Bottom line, I got so sick of busting knuckles, using torches, and breaking bolts, that I sold everything and went to a brand new JK. Rust sucks, I'd stay away!
Yea I'm tired of fighting the loosing battle with my current tj and I really need the extra seats with a growing family....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unless you can get a smoking deal in this one, I would pass on it for sure. You'd need to be very meticulous on inspecting everything. You could end up paying more and having a huge headache in the long run.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts

X2 with the Old Dog. It's up to you to decide how much rust you're willing to accept. There's actually a lot worse out there. Based upon your photos it doesn't seem like there are any structural issues, at this point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I made a mistake on a rusty jeep frame once. NEVER AGAIN.

That said, this one honestly doesn't look that bad for 8-9 year old car as long as the price is right. Bring a hammer and screw driver and hit the frame in the rusty spots, if it moves or pokes through, don't buy it.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all I passed, there was too much rust for my liking. That was the first one I looked at, they let me bring it home so I got a good look at it, so I'll keep looking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts