Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2

There's the listing.

Basically it's an all stock 98' YJ Laredo with 170k miles.
It was apparently built in Canada so it's metric.

4.2L Straight Six
5SP transmission
Air conditioning
Hard Top / Bikini Top

Also comes with 10 extra tires. Has minor rust under the driver side door pan but he has included the pan to replace it, just not installed.

He's asking $3700 obo with a "Need Gone ASAP"

It's priced very high but the vehicle is a 2 minute drive from my house so I might as well check it out and hope he goes down to a reasonable price.

My question for y'all is, what would be a good price for this vehicle?

Is being built in Canada a pro-con?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I didn't read the entire listing, but you should be ready for a project. Anything this old with that many miles is gonna need some love.

First thing to consider is the trans. The BA10 transmission was still being used in production up until March 1989 before the much better AX15 went into production. Make sure that its an AX15. Regardless, I'd bet that your darn near replacing and rebuilding whatever it has in there. Same goes for the block.

Nothing to worry about being made in Canada. AMC had a plant in Brampton and was still pumping out Jeeps there up until 1992. My '89 was built there too.

Getting back to this jeep... All depends on how mechanical you are and how much of a project your looking to get into. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, then you might be able to get a good deal. But if your just looking for a fun car that's turn key, then run away.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does it have a US title?

Also, that loose tilt can be fixed, but kind of a pain. Probably one of the pins on either side of the column have come loose or one has fallen out. Easy fix, just a pain in the butt.

I would drive up with truck & trailer, don't let him know you live so close. Give him $3k cash, load it up, and drive home.

Check to see if the engine is clean, or how bad things are leaking also. It would help to see all the pictures of that stuff, but seems like it is a decent deal and this guy tried to take care of it. Very possibly has been well taken care of overall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate it Jersey. It's going to be a father-son project. My Dad had built his own Wrangler a few years ago that was much worse than this, it was a NY rust bucket from all the salt on the roads during winter months. His Jeep turned out amazing then he later sold it for a profit which was also quite impressive.

Hopefully I can grab this Jeep for a decent price and learn the ropes from there. I plan on building this Jeep up with some 33"'s or 35"s to handle that Georgia clay.

How much would y'all spend on this? $3000k seems OK because I can flip the extra tire set and soft top for some cash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just so you know too... The 4.2's are carbureted. They didn't go fuel injection until '91 with the 4.0.
Not that it should stop you, just wanted to be sure that you knew.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so you know too... The 4.2's are carbureted. They didn't go fuel injection until '91 with the 4.0.
Not that it should stop you, just wanted to be sure that you knew.
I'm still a rookie in the automobile world so try and be easy on me but how is the carb vs fuel injection different during driving?

I wont get AS good gas mileage with the carb vs fuel injection?

·
Registered
209 Posts
my son has a 1989 yj that he loves hes only 16 but he trades alot we picked up his 9th vehicle today and he makes all the deals ijust tag along to make sure he is safe. $3700 would be really cheap in texas. you can do a spring over and they articulate more than you can imagine. the truck he bought today is a 1990 chevy that had a straight axle conversion a new 5 speed transmission and a strong clean motor. all the drive train will go in his jeep in the next month. i have a 2013 jku his is much more fun but mine is more practical day to day. i think yjs are the best jeep to build.

image-4092275136.jpg

this his jeep we had just put the corner guards and fenders on. thats the truck he bought we had to put dinky wheels on to load it the 44x18-15 were to wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That truck has some MASSIVE wheels! Your sons Jeep looks very good as well, very similar to the design scheme I'm going with.

Bill92 I see your son is much like my buddy, he got into flipping cars and boats at about 16 years old. He managed to make some good cash and got himself a beautiful bass boat with a nicely upgraded 04' Toyota Seqouia.

I'll try it myself on this Jeep if I get it for a better price or if I don't fall in love with it, whatever comes first. ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have always traded around and both his grandpas did also but he is way better than any of us. he has prolly cleared $10,000 grand in the last year. he will trade for anything guns fishing boats smokers. He always keeps me in the loop so i can make sure he doesnt get in trouble. those are 44"x18"x15's. were not keeping them he is planing on buying or trading for a set of 15x10 dick cepek 2 wheels. i just have to make sure that we complete the swap fairly quick and it runs and drives safely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good for him! $10,000k in a year is amazing.

It is an art and a numbers game no doubt flipping anything. Sounds like he also lucked out on the pickup as well, being able to flip both sets of tires for the ones he wants. Bravo.

I'll keep y'all updated. Hopefully my bargaining skills are on par come viewing day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
bart if you have trouble with the carb on it first the choke is picky and has to be set just right but the best thing to do is spend $300 for a ford carb of ebay the guy is out of colorado he will set the carb up for where you live my buddy installed one last summer on his cj5 it really made a huge improvment on mpg and drive ability. they are brand new and he provides step by step instructions for the nutter bypass and installing the carb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeep was a no-go. It was rusted all over the place and the guy tried covering it up with red paint. The driver site rear quarter panel was so badly rusted you could send a hammer clean through to the other side.

This is a $2500 vehicle on a good day, not anywhere near the $3700 he wants.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bet 15 crisp Ben franklins laid on that rusty red hood would drive (or tow) it away. Anything can be fixed/replaced with the $1,700 you just saved. I'm talking a lot. All the work you can do by yourself you will. The other stuff you pay a pro to do. Believe me those franklins really scream at a motivated seller.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know what you mean. But the thing is, I don't know how low he is willing to go. I set up a meeting with him Monday afternoon but I happened to see the vehicle in a parking lot today hahah so I got a sneak peek.

If I can snag it for anything under $1500 I would seriously consider a buy-fix up and flip for hopefully $5k.

It's a clean vehicle with minor rust and faded paint. $1500 sounds fair both ways.

·
Registered
742 Posts
What if you are the only buyer to toss $1500 cash on the hood? Most buyers just want to drive away with a great problem free vehicle so they will pass so you just can't know until tomorrow. Thirty five hundred in repairs will get you a damn fine reliable ride and you know everything has been rebuilt. I would probably go as high as $2000 not to lose a ride that's kind of winking at me. Lets be honest ...... what kind of reliable fun vehicle can you buy in this life for 5k?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Frame rails have some rust..

Told him I would never pay anything over $2500 for the setup, going to look at her now. Hopefully the rust I saw on the pass by isn't THAT bad and the vehicle is salvageable. $2000k is the high end for me, I'm hoping to grab this vehicle for $1500 or less. Sell the spare set of tires and soft top and throw that money into a good bed liner and other parts. "Now were cookin' with peanut oil"

·
Registered
742 Posts
Frame rails have some rust..

Told him I would never pay anything over $2500 for the setup, going to look at her now. Hopefully the rust I saw on the pass by isn't THAT bad and the vehicle is salvageable. $2000k is the high end for me, I'm hoping to grab this vehicle for $1500 or less. Sell the spare set of tires and soft top and throw that money into a good bed liner and other parts. "Now were cookin' with peanut oil"
I hope you score tonight. If he doesn't go for the $1,500 tonight just leave your mobile number and tell him your offer is good until you buy one of the next two that you are going to see later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts