Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a jeep to do some weekend wheeling but still be a daily driver and found a good price on a 2004 Lj but I don't know if that's what I want to get and was wondering what kind of a lift I need a long arm suspension lift? Will a tj lift work? And are the hardtops the same on an Lj as a tj all it comes with is a hard top

·
Registered
617 Posts
The hardtop is longer, it's good to get one with a hard top right off the bat because trying to find one later can be tough. You need a lift made for the LJ. I'm not sure if the arms are the same length or not but I have seen lift advertised as being for the LJ...

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Benefits to the LJ are several in my opinion. 15" more room, longer wheelbase, rear D44 standard, rear discs (arguably unnecessary, but I prefer them), longer driveshaft for less angle at ride height, higher tow rating (due to longer wheelbase).

Downsides are they are heavier, the break over and departure angles would suffer a tad, the gas mileage will be less than a TJ due to the weight, turning radius is slightly affected.

I got rid of my '99 soft top TJ and bought an '06 hardtop LJ. I'm setting it up still, and will be for a while, but I realized that the LJ suited my needs so much better than a TJ that I couldn't not get one. I shopped them for around 6 months before I bought the one I have. Looked at around 40 of them, drove about 15, made offers on 3, bought 1. I love it.

Good luck and enjoy it whichever way you go.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The hardtop is longer, it's good to get one with a hard top right off the bat because trying to find one later can be tough. You need a lift made for the LJ. I'm not sure if the arms are the same length or not but I have seen lift advertised as being for the LJ...
Don't believe everyone on here that doesn't know the correct information!
Tj and LJ suspensions are the SAME! Rear driveshaft is a different length and often a Sye is not needed where they are needed with a tj.
Please do more research before you buy your new lift.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Short arm suspensions are the same. Long arm kits have longer rear arms for an LJ. I think some companies used to offer stiffer rear springs for an LJ, most use the same ones as a TJ.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A LJ hard top alone is worth at least $1K if you can find a original one.
Gr8tops makes a wonderful replacement top for the LJ buts its $4K!!!

I just purchased a 04 LJ auto with 46K miles on it for $15k. It has a softtop.
I got a LJ over a TJ because I have two kids and I am a big tall fellow so I got to have my drivers seat all the way back. Try and sit a 10 year old in a TJ with the drivers seat all the way back. They will not be happy.

To be totally honest if I didn't have to deal with the wife driving it or having to haul 2 kids, I would go with a TJ manual 6cyl.

Your 04 LJ is gonna be a automatic cause thats all they made.

I would check the frame from rot and go from there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
LJs rule. I know a few guys that would give their built rig up for a mildly built or stock LJ. 2004 the LJs only came with the 4 Speed 42RLE (Auto). 2005-06 they came with the 42RLE or the 6 Speed Manual *Dont know the number*.

They look great all built up too:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Downsides are they are heavier./QUOTE] Curb weight 3,092-3,857 lb (1,403-1,750 kg) TJ-LJ weight from Wikipedia. You have to take into account that this weight difference is from a bare bones se without a rear seat and a soft top with a 4 banger. To an lj rubicon with d44s 4.0 bigger tires heavier transmission. An 05 lj with the same drive train will only see about 240-280lbs weight gain over a same setup tj. Hell, I've seen tj owners with girl friends that will cover that spread.

Also I still get 16-17 highway. Close to 20 with a correct tailwind.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I think I accurately stated the truth though. How much it factors into someone's pro/con list is subjective I suppose, but they are in fact heavier. :)

I bought mine because for me there wasn't a con on my list that was significant in regards to my intended uses and goals, and the pros were all key points.

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
As I am a manual guy no LJ for me

Only manual LJ is 6 SPd and only 05 06
1 05 06 most probs with PCM emissions of all TJ I think Chrysler just hung stuff on to meet new emissions with minimal investment as TJ was to be dropped and V6 was on the drawing board hence the TSBs on emission light
2 the potential loss of oil pressure with failed oil pump drive while fixable is a poor design
3 the German 6 speed is my least favorite tj manual tranny except for the POS ax5 used with early four banger

I might consider one if they made a manual in 03 or 04 but no such luck however if you are an auto guy the LJ look better

But others think it is great so you pays your money and takes your chances

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I ran a '71 CJ5 for 16 years.
Sold it to get my 05 LJ.
Did a mild build because it suited the DD role and my wallet.
Seven years into it, I still love it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts