Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been looking around at Wranglers and found a few that seem good and have a few questions.

I'm looking for one I don't have to spend a fortune on but at the same time it'll be my daily driver so I want one that's reliable and not too much of a project.

I found one that I thought looked great. It's an '02 TJ Sport, and only has 82,000 kilometres on it. It's in nice shape and has a lot of nice features like fog lights, nice side steps, a Mopar add-a-trunk, a bike rack and new tires. I took it to my mechanic and he said that mechanically everything's great, but that the rust is a concern. Underneath the Jeep is getting pretty bad and he said it'd need an oil spray immediately and then diligently every year. Then there's also a pretty bad rust spot on the front right fender. And that scares me because who knows where else it's lurking. This one also only comes with a soft top and half-doors, and being up North I'd have to buy a hard top and full doors. He's asking $8,895 for this one.

Then just yesterday I found another nice one online. It's an '04 TJ Sport with 110,000 km's. This one however has both tops, full doors and some DANA Axle upgrades. However it's missing some of the things like the fog lights and that the other one has. There's a photo of the underbody and it appears to be in much better condition rust-wise. So I'm thinking about going to check out this one too. This one is asking $9,900.

So any advice or anything you folks could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
what are these "Dana axle upgrades"? all modern jeeps are going to come with dana axles, you sure the seller just doesnt know what he is selling?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been looking around at Wranglers and found a few that seem good and have a few questions.

I'm looking for one I don't have to spend a fortune on but at the same time it'll be my daily driver so I want one that's reliable and not too much of a project.

I found one that I thought looked great. It's an '02 TJ Sport, and only has 82,000 kilometres on it. It's in nice shape and has a lot of nice features like fog lights, nice side steps, a Mopar add-a-trunk, a bike rack and new tires. I took it to my mechanic and he said that mechanically everything's great, but that the rust is a concern. Underneath the Jeep is getting pretty bad and he said it'd need an oil spray immediately and then diligently every year. Then there's also a pretty bad rust spot on the front right fender. And that scares me because who knows where else it's lurking. This one also only comes with a soft top and half-doors, and being up North I'd have to buy a hard top and full doors. He's asking $8,895 for this one.

Then just yesterday I found another nice one online. It's an '04 TJ Sport with 110,000 km's. This one however has both tops, full doors and some DANA Axle upgrades. However it's missing some of the things like the fog lights and that the other one has. There's a photo of the underbody and it appears to be in much better condition rust-wise. So I'm thinking about going to check out this one too. This one is asking $9,900.

So any advice or anything you folks could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks
In my opinion, half the fun is making it your own. Extras like fog lights or side steps can be added later and they really don't break the bank. I recently purchased my Wrangler and followed my mechanics advise and stayed away from any vehicle with a lot of rot. My mechanic also drives a Wrangler and he said rot can be a major concern. Why start off with a problem if you can avoid it?

In the end, there is no perfect used vehicle. Use good judgement and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are these "Dana axle upgrades"? all modern jeeps are going to come with dana axles, you sure the seller just doesnt know what he is selling?
Yeah I dunno. I just read it last night I'd have to look into em more of course.

What it says is,

"$2500 in axle upgrades
[DANA 44 with Detroit Locker and 4.10 gears] less than 5000km
[DANA 30 with 4.10 gears] less than 5000 km"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion, half the fun is making it your own. Extras like fog lights or side steps can be added later and they really don't break the bank. I recently purchased my Wrangler and followed my mechanics advise and stayed away from any vehicle with a lot of rot. My mechanic also drives a Wrangler and he said rot can be a major concern. Why start off with a problem if you can avoid it?

In the end, there is no perfect used vehicle. Use good judgement and good luck.
Yeah that all makes a lot of sense. Sorta reaffirms what I was starting to think myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Yeah I dunno. I just read it last night I'd have to look into em more of course.

What it says is,

"$2500 in axle upgrades
[DANA 44 with Detroit Locker and 4.10 gears] less than 5000km
[DANA 30 with 4.10 gears] less than 5000 km"
well that certainly is an upgrade. it would be a good starting point for a great build, if you plan on doing that. have a good mechanic check it all out and make sure the install was done properly.

a new (or slightly used) front and rear with a detroit in the rear would run you WAY more than $2500.

I would be very interested in it if I were you, but that all depends on your intentions with the Jeep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This seems to be the time of year when Jeeps are hard to come by. Don't get discouraged, you'll find the right one. Your patience will be rewarded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts