Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2015 Rubicon unlimited, 42k miles, $24,000 asking price.

The vehicle looks to be in spectacular condition except for the front bumper. How difficult of a repair is this? I see some steering components on the ground so I'm not sure if that's a bad sign.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Jeep front.jpg
jeep side.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I'm purchasing from a dealer who only sells vehicles with salvage titles, which definitely contributes to the low price.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I'm looking at a 2015 Rubicon unlimited, 42k miles, $24,000 asking price.

The vehicle looks to be in spectacular condition except for the front bumper. How difficult of a repair is this? I see some steering components on the ground so I'm not sure if that's a bad sign.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

[iurl="http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2845705&d=1456363412"]
[/iurl]
[iurl="http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2845713&d=1456363412"]
[/iurl]
I haven't checked the blue book on it but that does seem like a very attractive price. I also noticed that the side marker is missing on the right front of the vehicle. Of course knowing what options the vehicle came with will help you get a better idea of how good of a price it is but for a Rubicon that seems pretty decent to me. It looks like it's being sold by a dealer which makes me a little more skeptical than if you were buying from a person

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would say if the dealerhsip only sells salvage title vehicles then what else is wrong with it?

No way simple bumper damage and a few suspens in parts loose would result in a salvage title, must be something else pretty major that wrong.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yea, some pretty big flags here, in my opinion. Have you driven it, or only viewed online?

The bumper is easy to fix, or a great reason to replace. But I would be very concerned about the condition of underneath. Drive, check out the title, and get someone who knows mechanics to take a careful look over it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
2015 Rubi only 24 miles w/ a salvage title.....there's something that they aren't telling and you would have to know your stuff by looking underneath. Does it drive? Can you take it to a Jeep dealership/known mechanic?

If not, there's a service where you can pay a mechanic to go inspect a vehicle for you. They will take pics inside and out and give you a report on the vehicle. This usually cost 200-300 for them to do this but it might be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Um yeah there are bigger issues there than the bumper.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any damage to the sticker on the hood...that would be a deal breaker for me.

In all seriousness I would avoid something with a salvage but that's just me. IMO something too good to be true usually is.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm no expert but I'd say the only reason that the jeep with what appears to be relatively minor damage ended up salvage is because the frame is messed up. Possibly more. Salvage if I'm not mistaken means no warranty anymore. I know it's a Rubi and everyone wants one. But for slightly more you can get a brand new sport with no miles and a full warranty. Is that a brick or something in front of the rear wheel to prevent it from rolling away? Also it may be shadowing and a lot of reflection but the passenger door at the bottom front edge doesn't seem to line up right to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. As many of you have said, I suspect that there is something more seriously wrong. The question though, is WHAT, because from the other pictures everything else on the car is perfect, inside and out.

However, maybe there isn't anything seriously wrong. A salvage title kills a vehicles worth, and can be given when a vehicle is stolen and recovered. Could be someone stole it, during the getaway hit a pole hard enough to bend the bumper and mess up the steering linkages, and ran. I'll let y'all know if I find out more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm no expert but I'd say the only reason that the jeep with what appears to be relatively minor damage ended up salvage is because the frame is messed up. Possibly more. Salvage if I'm not mistaken means no warranty anymore. I know it's a Rubi and everyone wants one. But for slightly more you can get a brand new sport with no miles and a full warranty. Is that a brick or something in front of the rear wheel to prevent it from rolling away? Also it may be shadowing and a lot of reflection but the passenger door at the bottom front edge doesn't seem to line up right to me.
I was thinking the same. The question though, is how could the frame get messed up without even severely damaging the fenders or grill or anything? I mean the fog lights aren't even cracked.

And i believe it's a reflection, doesn't look like that in any other pictures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2015 Rubi only 24 miles w/ a salvage title.....there's something that they aren't telling and you would have to know your stuff by looking underneath. Does it drive? Can you take it to a Jeep dealership/known mechanic?
What could have gone wrong underneath? As in, some reckless off roading?

And they claim it drives so idk.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Those aren't the Rubicon tires so perhaps they've tried to cover up as much damage as they could. Or they blew threw them in the 42k miles that's on it. If you never plan on reselling it might be an option but I would avoid it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those aren't the Rubicon tires so perhaps they've tried to cover up as much damage as they could. Or they blew threw them in the 42k miles that's on it. If you never plan on reselling it might be an option but I would avoid it.
Are those the rubicon wheels? And yeah no idea how they put 42k miles on it in a year...

·
Retired Moderator
100,708 Posts
A salvage title, is a flag to stay away from..IMO

Plus if you do purchase it, then some day when you go to sell it, good Luck..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Salvage title more than likely means it's been wrecked and would cost more than 50% of the value of the vehicle's worth to repair, insurance companies consider them totaled at this point. If you want a toy and you don't mind the wrench time and cost to get it going, go for it. If this is to be driven on the road, I wouldn't go near it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I was thinking the same. The question though, is how could the frame get messed up without even severely damaging the fenders or grill or anything? I mean the fog lights aren't even cracked.
Look carefully. The right front fender is all pulled away from the body, the fender marking light is gone, the bumper obviously is damage severly and the drag link is all bent and broken off. Who knows what other suspension items are broken/damaged. There are BIG issues going on there.

Stay away unless you get a body shop to check the frame and give you costs to fix everything AND you get it really, really cheap.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Look carefully. The right front fender is all pulled away from the body, the fender marking light is gone, the bumper obviously is damage severly and the drag link is all bent and broken off. Who knows what other suspension items are broken/damaged. There are BIG issues going on there.

Stay away unless you get a body shop to check the frame and give you costs to fix everything AND you get it really, really cheap.
I agree with this 100%. Walk away. I'm fairly certain that Jeep took a pretty substantial hit to the right front wheel and fender. The bumper is only minor compared to the other damage. Also, if you look closely the bumper has other damage on the driver side extender, which I doubt was caused by the same impact to the wheel and fender.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
There's also a small metal tire chock on the rear tire. Makes me ask myself, why does it need that? E-brake doesn't work, auto trans paw broke, if manual, does the motor not having any compression? It's not parked on a steep hill,now thats for sure.

I suggest anyone looking at a salvage vehicle, should have common auto body tools and knowledge or pass. I'm not being rude, but if you have to ask, I doubt you have auto body tools or experience. As far as asking what's wrong with it, we'd just be guessing. Heck, often auto body shops get jobs and don't fully know what's all damaged until they get in to it.

The places that buy and sell these things know what they're doing, if it only needed a bumper and alignment, they'd fix and sell themselves. I know many states have laws against dealers fixing and reselling salvage title vehicles, but if the get an easy job, they'll sell to a friend, that will hang a bumper, sell, and split the profits under the table. A friend of friend years ago, dabbled in the biz with his uncle, and it's ......uh an interesting biz to out it nicely.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts