Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am new to jeeps. My 15 year old corolla is just not doing it for me. I want a Jeep to mostly go to work but to dip into the off road arena. I have a 6 year old and the thought of taking the family camping sounds awesome.

Looking at the sport S and it looks nice except the tires are meh. I would like it a bit higher but price is close to 40k

The Sahara is suppose to be a good commuter with some off road and comes in around 49k.

Rubicon seems to have all the things you would want. Looks nice stock with those tires. Do not like the decal color but simple to remove that (yes yes, some may think that's nuts) but around 57k.

Some thoughts on which way to go?

What are some prices you have all been seeing out the door? Missed the employee pricing but end of june is a monday/tuesday which is also end of Q2. Maybe could get some deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you can get 10% off the sticker on a Wrangler, you've done well. There isn't much wiggle room between dealer cost and MSRP. I would think that it would depend on the area you live and how much inventory there is.

Go with the Sport S. You can find brand new take off wheels online, like your local Craigslist or Facebook Market, or at local 4x4 shops. Many people take perfectly good Rubicon wheels of the first day they buy the Jeep. Find a local shop to put a 1" spacer lift in and mount the Rubicon wheels. You just saved $15k dollars to get the look you want.

You could also get the spacer lift and just buy new tires for your factory wheels or new wheels and tires, then sell yours. A Rubicon has tires that are 33" tall (285/70/17), so that's what will to get the look you want.

Also, there are many brand new Rubicon suspensions for sale. Many buy a New Rubicon and lift it right away. These are usually sold at bargain prices, around $200. That way you get brand new Rubicon springs and shocks to give you the stance you want. Actually, I recommend doing that over spacers. But since you're just doing some light trails, either will serve you fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so if I get a nice sport S, then I would get maybe a 2" lift kit by like Krawler or some other manufacturer and maybe I would also need a new suspension right?

Is that crazy to buy a brand new car then have that kind of work done? Also, what would the cost be to have that done? I do not know enough to do that myself nor do I have the workspace.

·
Registered
408 Posts
No. Forget the lift kit. Just buy a Rubicon suspension (springs and shocks) that were taken off a new one. You can find them for sale online or local 4x4 shops probably have some that they took off. Have that installed on your new Jeep and ad the 33” tires of your choice. Easy.

Most lift kits (other than spacers) are new suspension systems. Unless you want to go with 35” tires, avoid the 2-2.5” lift kits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, still being new and trying to read up as much as I can would there be a benefit to 35" tires vs the 33"?

thanks so much for the info

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have land, my family has land and a hunting camp. My Wranglers are on dirt roads and off road a fair amount. My last Jeep was a Sport S / the LSD and it got me everywhere I needed or wanted to go. I ended up with a 2020 Rubicon through a bunch of crazy events and I love it, but I would never have actually shopped for a Rubicon. Listen to JKBrad, he’s right on. Buy the Sport S and then buy the Rubicon rims and tires as well as the Rubicon shocks and springs. Unless you’re seriously rock crawling (severe trails) or mudding in severe terrain, you’ll never use the lockers or sway bar disconnect anyway. BTW, adding Rubicon rims and shocks/springs is exactly what I did to my 2013 Sport S. Always looked great to me and I only had about $1800 in to the rims, tires and shock/springs. Cheap transformation. The only other thing I’d add is to try to find a JL with the traclok LSD (anti-spin differential) included as part of a package or as a stand alone option. That said, inventory is pretty low right now. Here’s a pic of my 2013 Sport S with the Rubicon goodies on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
While I think you have some good advice here I would like to point out that there is a lot more to a Rubicon than just springs and wheels in that 15k. Still, a sport with good wheels and a small lift is very capable. The Sahara will step up some of your options, axles, etc just like another step up to a Rubicon but they are not cheap. Personally, I have now owned six Jeeps. I am a bit of a Rubicon junkie so my advice is to keep shopping and comparing until you find one that really spins your propeller. You really cannot go wrong as Jeep holds great resale value if you decide in some years to step up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
While I think you have some good advice here I would like to point out that there is a lot more to a Rubicon than just springs and wheels in that 15k. Still, a sport with good wheels and a small lift is very capable. The Sahara will step up some of your options, axles, etc just like another step up to a Rubicon but they are not cheap. Personally, I have now owned six Jeeps. I am a bit of a Rubicon junkie so my advice is to keep shopping and comparing until you find one that really spins your propeller. You really cannot go wrong as Jeep holds great resale value if you decide in some years to step up.
So true. At times I had thought about putting lockers on my 2013 to make it just like a Rubicon. But then you start going down the list and checking all the boxes of what’s standard on a Rubicon vs a Sport S or Sahara (front axles, transfer case, 4.10s, etc) and honestly I couldn’t build a Sport/Sahara to be as capable as a Rubicon for what Jeep charges out the door built right. If you think you’ll ever need a Rubicon or want to push the limits as far as a Rubicon can push them, and you have the cash, buy it upfront. It’s an incredible upgrade package. I say I’ll never really use the lockers... but everything I look at is a temptation now: can I get over/through that? Lol. Plus I love the idea that I can put 35s on the longer M220 axles without worrying about spacers or anything when the stock tires wear out.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Yup, I have used the lockers hunting, in Colorado on Imogene Pass, and also in deep snow. You are right about the Rubicon. If you start thinking lockers just get the Rubicon. I am very pleased with my 2020 JLUR but I was also very fine with my 2014 JKUR but I sold it to my daughter. It was a dad deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have no idea where you live, but a Marshfield Missouri dealer by the name of Don Vance has a good size inventory. I purchased a left over 2019 Wrangler unlimited Sport. Cold weather group, quick order group, tech group. Price was cut $7000. $35,000 out the door.
he had at the time, about 8 of the 2019 Sport all priced about the same.
This is the one I purchased about three weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Don't be afraid to shop out of state and fly in, buy, and drive home. I have done that now with my past three Jeeps. One in Arizona, one in New Mexico, and my 2020 JLUR was purchased at a great price from Dennis Dillon Jeep in Caldwell, Idaho.

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I too got a leftover 2018 JLU, mine is a Sahara: sticker was $50,000; got it for $38,000. It’s only 8 months old, but it’s been totally trouble-free...so far.

You want to tread carefully with the mods and the factory warranty. It varies by dealer, but in general Jeep dealers are clamping down on what mods are allowed before denying warranty work.

Mine came with the V6, 8-speed automatic, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Selec-Trac 4WD with LSD, proximity door locks, Alpine sound. I added LEDs, leather, headliners and 33” tires. My JLU has as much ground clearance as my lifted 2018 JKUR Recon with 35” tires, but drives 10 times better!

I’m done modding it for now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I too got a leftover 2018 JLU, mine is a Sahara: sticker was $50,000; got it for $38,000. It’s only 8 months old, but it’s been totally trouble-free...so far.

You want to tread carefully with the mods and the factory warranty. It varies by dealer, but in general Jeep dealers are clamping down on what mods are allowed before denying warranty work.

Mine came with the V6, 8-speed automatic, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, Selec-Trac 4WD with LSD, proximity door locks, Alpine sound. I added LEDs, leather, headliners and 33” tires. My JLU has as much ground clearance as my lifted 2018 JKUR Recon with 35” tires, but drives 10 times better!

I’m done modding it for now.

View attachment 4440460
Mighty good looking Jeep. Love the photo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are some very nice jeeps. I live in San Diego so no need for the all weather package. Lockers are not important to me. With having a 6 year old I will like to take the family camping and such.I am not sure that I can reach the 55k area that a Rubicon asks. I should be able to hit a 45k jeep.

Not sure what the stock sport S could handle

·
Registered
408 Posts
A base wrangler is shockingly good off road. The other options and levels make it more so. You’re overthinking it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Test drive the different models and rent one for a week! That helped me figure out how/if it works with the family (and in your case camping as well) and which I enjoyed the most!
Once you decide on the trim there is still enough looking around on what other options are important to you (motor, leather vs cloth, hardtop vs softtop, etc)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I hate it when people do this, because there are those on some forums that want everyone to buy what they did and want everyone to do the mods they did.

That having been said, look at one with the Willys package. M220 limited slip in the rear, Rubicon shocks, springs and wheels (same wheels but blacked out). 32.2" MT tires, depending on trim, you also get LED headlights and fog lights. Yes there are actually Sports with an extra option pkg. There is a Willys based on the standard Sport and one based on the Sport S. Very confusing. Anyway, give one of those a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There isn't a Willys that is close to me. Can't fly out and such during these times for numerous reasons. I think I may look today in person and who knows.... could drive out. Figure end of Q2 and end of month maybe I'll get a decent deal. Otherwise, I don't need it today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
+1 on the Willys. I got an unbelievable deal on a Rubicon in the middle of the corona-issues but I was very close to Willys otherwise. for the price, its well set up, has some nice upgrades, a different look since there are not that many of them.

I bought out of state, its a little extra work but if you are buying a brand new car, why do you need to see it first? the dealer needs to ensure its perfect out the door so dont be afraid to ship a new car a couple states over if the price is right(Ive purchased my last 3 cars out of state and saved a lot of $$) and/or you get the model you want.

if you go to the local dealer you can pretty much see everything you need to understand what the car will be like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
How do you haggle with them from out of state? Is it all over the phone? Do you go through the local dealer? Is it a carmax sort of thing or carvana?
What about trade in?

Also, do you know if you can get a matching cover for the sport or willys? I like most colors but the sarge green looks real nice and is nicer if it has the matching hardtop in green rather than the black. I can't extend to a Rubicon. About 45k is my max.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts