Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 wrangler unlimited sport with 46k miles, automatic

How bad is the rust on this one?

During my test drive I noticed the braking was a bit soft. It felt like either the brake pads/brake rotors needed to be replaced. It felt like someone drove them through shallow water and the brakes were wet so there wasn't that "initial bite". I drive a ford E250 full size van for work and I think the brakes on the ford were better. My ford is at 48k miles and never had the brakes/pads replaced yet (knock on wood). Is this normal for wranglers? Anything else I'm missing here?

I read on this forum that new brake job with brake pads/rotors would be ~$800 job so I want to negotiate this down a bit based on the brakes and rust.

Also as a side note - the jeep dealer I was at (teterboro in NJ) was very nice. As soon as I walked in, the guy handed me the keys and told me to drive it as long as I wanted to do whatever I want to it. I told him that I wanted to just inspect it first and he replied "oh don't worry just drive it and enjoy it!"

Are most/all jeep dealers normally this nice?

This was my first time at a jeep dealer. The only other time I drove a wrangler was at a carmax.

Thank you for the help! Really wanted a jeep for so long

Attachments

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The rust isn't all that bad for the NY/NJ area, pretty much normal for a JK.

It does look like it's been off road some judging by the scrapes in the gas tank skid but it doesn't look excessive either.

Stock brakes on a JK can be marginal with anything except stock tires but they shouldn't be soft.

Reactions: futuregopher

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome to the world of jeeps if it didn't have rust under it it would be a JK. New jeeps have it too. Both of mine have it 20 k and 31k .It kind of reminds me when you wash your car then you noticed that your rotors have a little bit of rust on them. More surface than anything. As it was stated above looks like it might have a few off Road scars. Once again its jeep so no a huge deal with that small amount.
Eads

·
Registered
737 Posts
I’m in Ohio, so I get similar weather issues that you have in the NE. That is surface rust and totally normal. Twice a year (spring and fall), I wire brush my undercarriage, rattle can it with Rustoleum, and then Fluid Film it for protection. It looks like you can do the same thing and it will look like new other than the off-road rubs.

Jeep brakes are not great. If you upgrade rotors and pads, you can get parts for something like Powerstop for $500+. (Big Brake Kits will run much more than that but offer much better stopping power). If you are having the brakes installed, then you’ll need to add labor. If you are going with a “standard” rotor and pad replacement with something like Duralast, parts will be more around $200-250 depending on quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
At 46K miles you're probably due for rear brakes (they wear faster on a JK).
$800 for brakes. haha....

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/2007-2017-jeep-wrangler-jk/steering-brakes/brake-pads-and-shoes

It shouldn't need rotors, maybe the rears machined. Or you can upgrade.
At 46K I'd just pad-slap some good pads on the rear and bleed the system. Under $200 from a reputable shop. $50 - $100 if you do it yourself.

I have this kit on mine:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56215_4113_07.htm

Mr @Quadratec will give you a forum discount if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just did brakes/rotors myself a few weeks ago, was under $200 (if you're willing to DIY it)

RockAuto has the best prices by far I could find on rotors

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

https://www.quadratec.com/vehicle/2007-2017-jeep-wrangler-jk/steering-brakes/brake-pads-and-shoes

At 46K I'd just pad-slap some good pads on the rear and bleed the system. Under $200 from a reputable shop. $50 - $100 if you do it yourself.

I have this kit on mine:

How do you like your kit, can you tell a difference? I would guess the rotor design is to run cooler to reduce fade

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
How do you like your kit, can you tell a difference? I would guess the rotor design is to run cooler to reduce fade
It works fantastic for where I live. Hilly, mountainous, winding, twisty --- and I pull a trailer.
Fade was my constant problem, even with a manual trans. These rotors are so much cooler and the pads are silent/clean.

Caveat --- the slots can pick up a pebble offroad. I've only had it happen once but, if you're lucky, you can pluck it out with a needle-nosed pliars. Or take off the wheel like I had to.

I picked up the pebble on a gravel road. Haven't had any problems in the nasty nasty muddy crap on more serious trails. The mud just cleans out (going through a creek).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Looks like a good upgrade at minimal cost. The gravel thing would be an occasional fluke. My duratracs throw gravel all the time but my Smitty side armor keeps most of it from hitting the paint. best uses of side armor is gravel protector, steps, and parking ding eliminator. I also pull a small work trailer and a boat occasionally

·
Registered
623 Posts
Being overly intimate with the underside of my Wrangler (that didn't sound right...), the offroading scratches on the gas tank skid are pretty much nothing. The trans bar (second picture) on mine looks like someone pulled it off, gave it to a giant to make a pretzel, then unbent it, bashed it with a bridge, flattened the ends, then bolted it back on. The rust you see is virtually non existent. Inspect the brake pads, but it's also possible that it's simply time to replace the brake fluid. Wrangler brakes aren't great stock anyways. Just stomp em hard to the floor. Can you induce ABS? If you can, that's as good as you're going to get. It ain't no Porsche with brake feel.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I have this kit on mine:

Man I'm really considering that PS Z36 full kit......

·
Retired Moderator
100,753 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Man, you all have it rough to consider rust normal. Guess I just don't have to deal with that in S. Utah.

My brakes were never bad but after moving to 38s, I added the Teraflex front big brake kit. Less than $800 and I did it myself. I'm not a mechanic at all so that's saying something. The pedal feel isn't any different but I can definitely stop faster and now the brakes really hold the Jeep in place when I'm rock crawling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
don't do it. it's purely cosmetic.
??????
I've seen some good comments on the kit from people on here.

At any rate, if i get time to look at my suspension this weekend, I'll have a look at my rotors and pads as well and see how they look. I am at about 53k miles so we'll see how they look; maybe just refresh everything with some new generic/OE replacements, if needed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
2016 wrangler unlimited sport with 46k miles, automatic

How bad is the rust on this one?

During my test drive I noticed the braking was a bit soft. It felt like either the brake pads/brake rotors needed to be replaced. It felt like someone drove them through shallow water and the brakes were wet so there wasn't that "initial bite". I drive a ford E250 full size van for work and I think the brakes on the ford were better. My ford is at 48k miles and never had the brakes/pads replaced yet (knock on wood). Is this normal for wranglers? Anything else I'm missing here?

I read on this forum that new brake job with brake pads/rotors would be ~$800 job so I want to negotiate this down a bit based on the brakes and rust.

Also as a side note - the jeep dealer I was at (teterboro in NJ) was very nice. As soon as I walked in, the guy handed me the keys and told me to drive it as long as I wanted to do whatever I want to it. I told him that I wanted to just inspect it first and he replied "oh don't worry just drive it and enjoy it!"

Are most/all jeep dealers normally this nice?

This was my first time at a jeep dealer. The only other time I drove a wrangler was at a carmax.

Thank you for the help! Really wanted a jeep for so long
Exhaust a bit rusty by my taste, frame ok, needs attention though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
??????
I've seen some good comments on the kit from people on here.

At any rate, if i get time to look at my suspension this weekend, I'll have a look at my rotors and pads as well and see how they look. I am at about 53k miles so we'll see how they look; maybe just refresh everything with some new generic/OE replacements, if needed.
I put that kit on my JK at maybe 50k miles and it was time to replace at around 90k. At the 90k, I put on generic stuff again and didnt really notice any difference. Is it worth the extra $50-70 over the basic non-slotted rotors and these pads? meh...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The rust isn't all that bad for the NY/NJ area, pretty much normal for a JK.

It does look like it's been off road some judging by the scrapes in the gas tank skid but it doesn't look excessive either.

Stock brakes on a JK can be marginal with anything except stock tires but they shouldn't be soft.
I honestly don't consider that normal, even for the NY/NJ/CT areas and I live 30 minutes from NY, that drive shaft looks almost like it was parked in water and left in the water, same for the exhaust, some rust is normal, that looks to be rather excessive....as for being off road it does show the signs of someone at least enjoying the jeep for its intended use.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
don't do it. it's purely cosmetic.
If you live in an area that tests your brakes on a daily basis you'd understand.
Brake fluid attracts water. Water expands when heated. Brake lines swell from the water in them. Fade occurs.
Slotted and drilled works when you run heavy, run hot, run hilly.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Heck, JK's on the lot had driveshafts that look like that. My JK looked exactly like that when it was 3 years old, spending most of it's time in NC but it make multiple trips to Mass and Maine in winter prior to my wife turning it over to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts