Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm thinking about buying a 2"BB for my 04 Sport but then I got to thinking; what if I just bought coil sprint that were 2" longer and new shocks to get the same lift with more flex! The problem is I can't seem to find a kit that does that. Do you guys know of a coil spring kit that will give me 2" of lift and what are the advantages and disadvantages of going this route instead of the BB?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with the 2.5" lift would I need SYE and T-Case drop and all those shenanigans? I'd really like to avoid those extra expenses if possible.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
with the 2.5" lift would I need SYE and T-Case drop and all those shenanigans? I'd really like to avoid those extra expenses if possible.
Maybe, maybe not. A t-case drop is the easy fix and almost free (a few washers) but you end up with a lower hanging t-case skid. Install the lift and see if you get vibes. I doubt you will.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
No, not at all. For a 2" lift, I'd go with ProComp 2" springs. I am NO fan of ProComp's products except for their coil springs which are, surprisingly, very good quality. Avoid ProComp's ES-3000 or ES-9000 shock absorbers if their salesman tries to sell you their entire kit, those shocks are way too stiff riding for a Jeep. With better riding shocks like the Skyjacker Hydro (not Nitro), OME, Rancho R9000x (not R5000), etc., I think you'd be happy with the results.

·
Registered
22,842 Posts
$950 is a little steep. Keep in mind were working with a high schooler's budget here with a part time job. I also have to buy new tires too which is going to run me another $750.
Ah, gotcha. Do you plan to wheel the Jeep or is it street only? If you can be patient, I suggest you save up for the good stuff and do it once. If you get a cheap BB now, later you will want something else and will have wasted the money. Jeeps can do pretty amazing stuff stock. Go wheel it and get a feel for what i can do and then decide what kind of lift and what size tires you want - research all that will go into it to make it work - and save for it. You will be happier in the long run I think.

But if you just want a little taller stance and better look, then almost all 2" spacer lifts are the same - just rubber donuts above the springs. Throw them on and install up to a 32" tire.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the ProComp coil idea. So coils, shocks, what else do I ned to be complete?

my Jeep is my daily driver so I don't want to do anything too extreme to it. The lift and M/T tires will definitely make it look badder though. However I do want to do some light wheeling as well. I found a local club and they don't do much more than trail rides, power line runs, fire roads, little bit of mud, etc. Nothing too crazy. I definitely won't be doing stuff like high grade rock crawling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a 2"BB with nitro 9000 shocks from rough country came with shock boots too. It's 199.00 from JC Whitney. Sign up with your email and you'll get a 20% off your order of 200 or more code. With the discount I was able to add a steering stab too for around 210 delivered to canada

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
I like the ProComp coil idea. So coils, shocks, what else do I ned to be complete?

my Jeep is my daily driver so I don't want to do anything too extreme to it.
My TJ is my daily driver too... 4" Currie lift, 1" body lift, 35" MT/Rs, Warn manual hubs, bellyup skidplate, Antirock, aluminum and steel armor, etc. Did I already say it was my daily driver? And that I'm 63? :p

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If by chance you do get some vibes from the 2 inches of lift, you can then add a 1 inch or so body lift along with the 1 in MML and keep the transfer case where it is supposed to be. Just something else to think about. :)

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My TJ is my daily driver too... 4" Currie lift, 1" body lift, 35" MT/Rs, Warn manual hubs, bellyup skidplate, Antirock, aluminum and steel armor, etc. Did I already say it was my daily driver? And that I'm 63? :p
You must go over some pretty intense asphalt then :flipoff: haha just kidding.

I'm liking the price of that rough country BB. Sounds right in my price range. Now I just have to find the right tires :punk: I'm deciding between Duratrac's and BFG A/T. I guess it will come down to pricing. I've seen people recommend Discount Tires for good prices what do ya'll think?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Discount's Tire pricing is good and can be even better if you push them for a bigger discount like if you show them an online price. They can't exactly match an online price but they can be competitive enough to make it worth your while to dicker a bit with them. Their optional all hazards warranty is even better, they don't argue if you puncture a tire offroad like some other dealer's all-hazards warranties will. I made the mistake of buying my first set of MT/R tires from a local tire chain WITH their optional extra-cost "all-hazards no questions asked warranty" and it took me nearly a week to get them to cover a near new tire I punctured while offroading. They tried to claim the tire was abused, I had to raise hell with them to get it covered. I now buy my tires from Discount Tires who doesn't argue.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I just gave away a 2" budget lift from Daystar that I won at the Penns Woods Jamboree this year...didn't need it, I already have one on my wife's jeep, and everything else I wheel has leaf springs...for what it's worth, it was nice quality, as is everything with Daystar. You might wanna check out there stuff as well.

·
Registered
828 Posts
when i bought my 2" bb lift i took the package that included the shocks, thinking they could only be better than my 11 years old stock one. they were, except they didnt last long. i end up buying the ome schocks (first i bought 1 pair then a few months later i bought the other pair)
so if you go eith a bb, just get the spacers, and later on get good shocks.
btw, you will be amazed by what yoyr jeep can do eith a small lift and 31.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm torn btwn doing spacers or just doing 2" over springs. Are my 9 year old springs still good? Only had the TJ for 2 months. Don't think the prior owner ever had it off road.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Taller springs are always better than spacers. Plus spacers accelerate the wear on springs and can even cause overcompression of the springs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good to know, Thx much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts