Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Rubicon with a Meyer Drive Pro 6'8" plow on it. I knew having a plow added some strain on the vehicle, but didn't expect it to sag in the front with the blade up as badly as it does. Looking into front air bags to ease the suspension.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which I should actually buy? I saw this one:

Firestone Air Bag Suspension - Reviews on Ride Rite, Sport Rite & Coil Rite Air Springs - Videos & Installations

It doesn't specify if it's for the rear or front axle and I'm not sure if the brand itself is a good one.

I'm only doing extremely light duty with the plow, mainly my driveway and parents' driveway and I'm not stacking snow, etc., so hoping that adding something like this will ease what I see as being the biggest strain on the vehicle right now.

I think I'm going to look into getting a used F150 or something similar to switch the plow to for the long run. Note that I need to get an F150 as an F250/2500+ would be too large of a vehicle for the "home plow" I have, but even an F150 is probably better suited to plowing than the JK.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what I should purchase in the meantime. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
How much load that the plow put on the front suspension?

If the load is reasonable and it is temporary you might try using a pair of stiff air shocks similar to what pickups to when towing higher loads. The shocks would be easier to adjust and remove when you get your F150.

Keep in mind the only plowing I do is with my front bumper on occasion.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I don't think taller springs is this guy's best bet. He'll still be sagging with the plow up but then his frontend will stick in the air when the plow is on the ground.

OP you're on the right track with air bags but it'll be your own trial and error and we all know that gets expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses.

The plow weighs about 400 pounds or so, which I thought was overall pretty light compared to commercial plows that weigh in at 800 - 1,000+ pounds. The sag is pretty noticeable. I'd guess the plow is only 3-4" off the ground when it's in the raised position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think taller springs is this guy's best bet. He'll still be sagging with the plow up but then his frontend will stick in the air when the plow is on the ground.

OP you're on the right track with air bags but it'll be your own trial and error and we all know that gets expensive.
Good points. Do you mean trial and error to find the right air bags? From what I've seen, the air bags seem to be pretty inexpensive ($80 - $100), but I'm not really sure what I'm buying. I'll need to have this installed somewhere as well as I'm not very knowledgeable with this stuff at all. Any ideas where I could even have this done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, it seems that no one makes a front air bag. Checked in with a few different vendors and they aren't aware of any such part. Does anyone know if it actually exists for the front?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Front? Air Bags

I already have rear bags for towing so I thought I'd try a cheap and dirty little lift (without the trailer) and get front bags. My guy thought nobody made 'em for the front, at least not for 2011+

still looking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your help. After researching and speaking to various people, I think I'm going to go with the Timbren kit. Seems that rubber greatly reduces strain on the suspension system and prevents it from bottoming out, thus keeping the vehicle level, which will also raise the height of the plow from the ground.

Anyone plowing with a Jeep should also be using a ballast of a recommended 250 - 300 lbs. You can buy sand bags from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that come in 75 - 100 lb bags for that purpose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts