Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock radio just doesn't cut it, especially since I want a backup camera since I can't see around the 35 in the rear. I was considering the Kenwood DNX572BH or the Pioneer AVIC-6100NEX. Anyone have one of these? I think both are worthy but I lean toward the Kenwood since it has a volume knob not just a rocker for the volume.

·
Registered
167 Posts
4100NEX if you ever go topless and want a detachable plate. It's been a really great unit for me and had everything I wanted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the 4100-NEX but I think I want integrated GPS. We use both iphone and android in the family so the interface between the two complicates the GPS mirroring process.

I thought I wanted the removable faceplate but if I forget to take it with me and it gets stolen then my unit would be useless. Hoping the fact that a double DIN is bolted in will be enough to protect me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My wife has a NEX with navigation and my only complaint is the display. It's not bad per-se... but at that price it really should be a capacitive touch screen. You can get that with the higher end ones... Even on the stock speakers it sounded tons and tons better than the garbage head unit the Jeep comes with, and I will be upgrading the sound system on the JKUR I ordered, most likely to a pioneer unit followed by amp and speakers.

I have found the GPS isn't great in the city (Boston) with the tall buildings, but I also have her antenna mounted at the base of the windshield. It may be better on the roof, but not sure how it would work obscured by the hard top in the winter.

Mike

·
Registered
568 Posts
but at that price it really should be a capacitive touch screen. You can get that with the higher end ones...
A lot of people say that, but there've been tons of times where I've been thankful it's not capacitive when having gloves on that aren't touch screen friendly in the winter

·
Registered
167 Posts
I looked at the 4100-NEX but I think I want integrated GPS.
The Apple CarPlay was my big sell. It's painful entering in an address into a GPS after you've been able to use your phone to find an address and just copy it into (or click on a link) Maps and go. And with the parking brake bypass you don't have to be in Park either but resting safely at a stop light or have your passenger running it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Personally I never drive wearing gloves so it hasn't been an issue, but I suppose if you frequently drive with gloves a resistance screen may be better.

That said, cheap-ass tablets have much better image quality screens... I'm failing to see why these HUDs reserve that for the top end.

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
4100nex here.

Don't miss the built in GPS that will be out of date in a year (if not out of the box) at all. I love using both Apple and Google maps.

BTW. There is a Pioneer GPS module you can get for the 4100. But for $300 I think it not worth it. If it got down to $150...maybe.

The detachable faceplate was the selling point for me. I have a soft top only. It is easy to throw in the center console or glove box which both lock (someone breaking in wouldn't know if it were in the Jeep or with you). It can "only" b removed with power on. Besides there is no value in stealing only the faceplate.

Overall I like it a lot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can update via sd. I like the gps as I like the map running in the background.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Pioneer AVIC6000 in 2015 Rubicon and totally enjoy it. Look up their specs. Works real well with smartphones especially Iphone. I have Android and am considering switch to Apple just because I enjoy the stereo so much. Also really dig the real time navigation but Google maps really seems more accurate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ditto on the nex 4100. I have the 4000, the slightly older version and couldn't be happier. It works great with my iPhone, the sound's good and apple maps has worked out much better than I thought it would. I got the steering controls set up, definitely worth the investment, as well as Sirius. The only app that's a little funky is TuneIn, CarPlay recognizes it but somehow the channels get messed up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I must say I am surprised that there are no defenders of the Kenwood. For those who want the integrated GPS I would think the Garmin in the Kenwood would influence some.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I must say I am surprised that there are no defenders of the Kenwood. For those who want the integrated GPS I would think the Garmin in the Kenwood would influence some.
I think most people looking at HU's in this price range would be looking at ones that support Apple Car Play and/or Android Auto. That's probably why most are not 'defending' the Kenwood. Furthermore, using built in Nav as opposed to your phone's Nav (via Android Auto of Car Play) is akin to using AOL dial-up for internet instead of fiber optic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alpine x009-wra was designed specifically for the wrangler. I absolutely love it and enjoy watching Netflix while "parked"

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's amazing... Not sure if it's 3K Amazing... but still

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You can do that with the 4100nex (watch whatever you have one your phone).

We got stuck in a downpour while tailgating at a baseball game. We sat car and used my phone to show an NFL game on the HU (only works in park). But Dish "Anytime" worked fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts