Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I Have a 2014 JKU Sport. 35's are going on this weekend and with that, I'm currently looking for a new rear bumper with tire carrier.

Im looking for suggestions.

What i would like is:
A bumper that does not interfere with my receiver now. Or that comes with a tow rated receiver. (Not towing anything crazy, just a small bass boat mainly.)
A Tire Carrier that swings with the Door. (I think this is the best option, but not familiar with either, so feel free to offer an opinion)
The option for lights would be nice but isn't needed. (Im sure its possible to punch holes in any bumper)
I plan on installing flat flares in the future, So something that would blend well with those would be nice.

Fire Away.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Go check out JCR Off Road. They make some good stuff. I bought front and rear bumpers, sliders and a tire carrier from them. All quality work !!!! The JCR Off Road rear bumper doesn't interfere with the stock hitch.

JcrOffroad Inc. - Join the Crusade!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
AEV rear bumpers look very good and are strong. Kind of spendy and no way to get a discount on one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take a look at ACE engineering pro series bumper. I've had mine for over a year now and still love it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have the Bestop on both ours and they work great...13 Sahara with stock wheels and tires and 12 Rubi with 18 wheels and 35 in tires

·
Registered
501 Posts
What i would like is:
A bumper that does not interfere with my receiver now. Or that comes with a tow rated receiver. (Not towing anything crazy, just a small bass boat mainly.)
A Tire Carrier that swings with the Door. (I think this is the best option, but not familiar with either, so feel free to offer an opinion)
The option for lights would be nice but isn't needed. (Im sure its possible to punch holes in any bumper)
I had been looking for a similar setup as you. I never did find anything that really jumped out at me. I ended up going with the Teraflex hinged carrier and hinge kit and an Or-Fab JK Sheetmetal Rear Bumper. Cost me about $1000 for both when the NorthRidge 4x4 discount was 10%. It would be about $1060 through them now with the 5% discount.

The Teraflex replaces the stock hinge so it opens with the bake gate. I've found that it greatly reduces the free swing of the gate. In other words, the gate can't be flung open or closed very easily. And the setup takes the weight of the spare tire off of the gate itself.

The bumper fits over the factory or aftermarket hitch. It's an easy one man install. It has two points for shackles if that concerns you. There is a version with built in LED backup lights for about $120 more. But it is a full width bumper.

And in case anyone reads something that I didn't write, I'm not knocking the all-in-one bumper/carrier setup. That's what I was origionally looking for. My personal preference is that I didn't find a setup I liked. So I'm just offering an additional option here for the OP to consider if he so chooses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like that a lot. Glad it doesn't look stupid without lights. If I buy one I'd buy it without lights but with the cut outs there.

Wondering if anyone has a promo code for the ace engineering site?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is a matter of opinion because theres so many great bumper/tire carriers available! I think it comes down to aesthetics for the most part. Make sure you read reviews to make sure the carrier doesnt rattle. My Smittybilt carrier on my old TJ rattled and it was annoying!

I personally like the Expedition One. It was the original carrier that swings open with the tail gate. In my opinion its the best LOOKING as well. Its on my list when I finally get around to doing bumpers for my JK. Check em out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts