Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the Banes4wd flat skid with a 1" spacer. To make that work, I hacked off my muffler and am currently running just a turn down, wife says that is unacceptable :)

The Barnes skid bends up at the back which is why the stock muffler would not fit. What I want to do is run a pipe from stock cat connector to just beyond the skid, after the muffler I will be running a turn down. Pretty simple.

I don't want to be loud when wheeling, so, I am looking for a muffler that is quiet and no more than 16 inches long with a 2.5" center inlet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Walker quiet ss
That said, a tailpipe will help w noise substantially vs a turndown on the muffler.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Another good, low cost option is Thrush. They have the thrush welded and the hush thrush.

I’ve got the thrush welded, it’s not too loud, but I think it might be louder/deeper than stock. I can’t remember. The hush thrush will be quieter.

Comparison against the stock LJ and thrush. The LJ muffler is slightly larger than the TJs

·
Registered
980 Posts
Another option to gain some clearance is to shorten the arm on your exhaust hanger / transmission mount. I took about 3/4” off and re welded it.

Cut and welded the vertical arm of this guy.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Walker quiet ss
That said, a tailpipe will help w noise substantially vs a turndown on the muffler.

100% agree on the tailpipe.

When I first installed my thrush I just put a turn down on to save time. After about a year I finally reworked the exhaust about a week ago to add a tailpipe, and it is significantly quieter.

With the turndown it was pretty loud still, and got annoying on the trail.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another option to gain some clearance is to shorten the arm on your exhaust hanger / transmission mount. I took about 3/4” off and re welded it.

Cut and welded the vertical arm of this guy.

Yep, I'll be cutting that back to lower the cat a bit out of the tub.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
980 Posts
Do it. If you search around, you will find lots of recommendations for thrush on here (both hush and the welded). Good price too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts