Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice installing AtoZ Rock Sliders

Has anyone else installed these on a TJ?

I have the rock slider in place. There are 6 holes on the bottom - a group of 4 in front and a group of 2 in back.

Of the four in front 1 lines up with an existing hole.
Neither of the two in back are touching metal.

What do I have wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can't help but I'm interested in how it turns out. I have a set of A to Z sliders for an LJ sitting at home waiting to be painted and installed later this summer. From the research I did before ordering I was expecting to have to do something creative with at least 1 of the bolts. Hopefully someone will have some advice that helps both of us.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed Zach at A to Z. I'll let you know what he says.

Beefy suckers, aren't they? I wasn't too popular with the Fed Ex guy that day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone else installed these on a TJ?

I have the rock slider in place. There are 6 holes on the bottom - a group of 4 in front and a group of 2 in back.

Of the four in front 1 lines up with an existing hole.
Neither of the two in back are touching metal.

What do I have wrong?
There are no existing holes to reuse. All holes will need to be drilled. On mine there is one hole in the front that slightly overlaps an existing hole but I did not use that one. The instructions should say which two holes to use in the front. They are staggered. On the frontmost set of holes use the inside hole (closest to center of Jeep). On the second set of holes use the outside hole (furthest out from center of Jeep).

On the two holes in the back there is a gap of a half inch or so between the sliders and the tub. This is normal due to the slope of the tub. (The tub is actually lower than the rocker panel in the front.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
BTW:

1. Awesome product and company.

2. Wear glasses and a mask or bandana when you drill the ones underneath unless you like hot metal shavings all over your face. Guess how I know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason77, they're really easy to install. Got' em in today and they look great. I'll try to scuff them up tomorrow :)

I got the version that go all the way from wheel well to wheel well under the fender flares. You just need to remove the bottom bolt and loosen the next two on the fender flares and you can slide it right in.

The instructions suggest having two people, but I had no problems doing it myself with a floor jack to hold it in place.

I now regret not buying them already powder coated. This is my first jeep and I'm still a beginner at a lot of this. But it took me much longer to paint them than it did to install them. Lot of places that are hard to hit (for me - I really suck at painting) and still make it look smooth.

I had sent an email to A to Z with my questions from the beginning of this thread and Zach actually called me the next day.

The front group of 4 holes has one hole that lines up with an existing hole in the jeep. That is actually the drain hole. Use the hole next to the drain hole and the one in the opposite corner. That group of 4 only uses 2 bolts.

In the back there is a steel spacer immediately behind the two holes. So the holes aren't really hanging out over a space like I thought.

The hardest part was drilling an access hole in the inside of the tub next to the seat belt. You will need this because the rear bolt into the side of the tub goes into a sealed compartment that holds the seatbelt.

I screwed up the first one and ended up with two holes on the passenger side. I'll attach a photo. I found the best solution was to drill down on top of the bolt. The first hole I drilled was too far inboard and it was impossible to get the nut started.

When I was researching which sliders to get, I found a lot of positive reviews about these sliders. The only negative comment was about the bolts on the floor next to the drain hole. They actually came in useful for me. I took my carpet out a while ago. It was more mud than carpet. I put a second washer and nut on the bolts near the drain hole and used them to hold my floor mats in place. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the pictures. That helps me start to plan out what I'll be doing, especially with drilling that access hole. I'm not a very experienced painter either and I'm expecting these to be a learning experience. I picked up the painting supplies the other day but it will probably be at least a few weeks before I get them painted and on. I'll post some pictures when I do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts