Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to buy another jeep, 98 sahara at that and just need help on specs. did all tj sahara's come with locking dana 44's? is the from a d30? gears? its a 5speed. and with these gears what is the largest tire I can run with enough power? also how can i tell if the rear is locked?

Right now I have 4.10's with 33's and a 6cyl.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I didn't think any TJ sahara came with d44s at all ever only did the TJ Rubis come with a locking rear d44. Now for the biggest tires to run with out regear I have no clue what gears the saharas came with from factory.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the sahara D44 was optional but not with a locker,maybe a limited slip

gearing will depend on what model transmission you have.Auto or Manual

with a 5 speed manual 4:11 is recommended for 31" tires
4:56 for 33" tires and 4:88 for 35" tires

i think the auto(depending if it has overdrive or not) can run lower gears(numericly lower)

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The D44 was an option for the rear on the Sahara's in 1998, they did not offer a factory locker for it. Most Sahara's of that year came with the limited slip D35 with 3.73's or if you are lucky the D44 & 3.73's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't think it came with a locker. But the guy on craigslist said a d44 with lockers (he probably meant limited slip), from the factory. what could I run with the d44 and 3.73's?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a 98 Sahara (dealer paperwork) says under optional equipment
Rear Axle - Dana 44
Axel -Trac-Lok Differential

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
trac-lok doesn't mean it has a locker. it's confusing but that's a limited slip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts