Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a Pioneer 4100 nex a while back and decided it's time to add a backup camera. Thinking of putting it in the bumper below the spare and am looking for some options people used. Not really interested in the ones that go in the spare tire. I know http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Waterproof-Reverse-Backup-Camera/dp/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1446478550&sr=1-1&keywords=flush+mount+backup+camera seems to be a popular choice but what I'm really looking for is one without the parking lines since it seams most people have issues with them not pointing the right way, and the head unit has guide lines anyways. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's right where I'm planning on putting it, as low as possible to minimize the amount the spare shows. Anyone else have any universal ones without guidelines?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just mounted one a few days ago. I made it difficult on myself though. I drilled a hole in the bottom half of the spare wheel center cap and epoxied the camera mount to the inside of the cap so that the camera just barely pokes out. The harness is run through the oval grommet in the tailgate behind the spare and I left about four feet of wire inside the tailgate. That way you can dismount the spare and set it on the ground, unplug it, then switch out the center cap to whichever wheel I mount there. The camera I bought only has about two feet of wire before terminating into plugs for the rest of the harness, which made it easy, and will make it easy for future tire changes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I like this ideal, can you post a pic from the screen?

Thanks

I just mounted one a few days ago. I made it difficult on myself though. I drilled a hole in the bottom half of the spare wheel center cap and epoxied the camera mount to the inside of the cap so that the camera just barely pokes out. The harness is run through the oval grommet in the tailgate behind the spare and I left about four feet of wire inside the tailgate. That way you can dismount the spare and set it on the ground, unplug it, then switch out the center cap to whichever wheel I mount there. The camera I bought only has about two feet of wire before terminating into plugs for the rest of the harness, which made it easy, and will make it easy for future tire changes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like this ideal, can you post a pic from the screen? Thanks
I can in about a week. The Pioneer head unit stopped working about 12 hours after I installed it. I put my 130 back in and am waiting for the replacement head unit to arrive this week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can in about a week. The Pioneer head unit stopped working about 12 hours after I installed it. I put my 130 back in and am waiting for the replacement head unit to arrive this week.
Can you see the trailer ball from that view? Thanks for the pic (in about a week) :).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I considered this spot as well. What camera did you use?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I mounted the camera to the wire harness bracket off to the left of the tow hitch. Basically removed the wire harness, tucked it away under the bumper. Drilled two hole on the bracket and then mounted the camera on a thick piece of plastic. I can post a photo later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That one seems to be a popular choice but it doesn't include actual flush mount hardware (as far as I can tell). How did you mount it to the back of the center cap?
I bent the mounting bracket so that it was flat. I then epoxied it to the inside of the cap. I can still remove the camera from the mount if necessary.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts

Looks like a good spot but can you still use the spare if you need it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts