Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I have the dreaded Death wobble on my '08 I have had the whole thing gone through and many things replaced, now the mechanic is saying the death wobble could be coming from the wheel bearings. I dont want him working on my Jeep anymore, all he is doing as draining my wallet, I need a mechanic who understands the suspensions in these Jeeps and knows what to look for when it comes to Death wobbles. Please respond ASAP, gotta have this Jeep back on the road...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jerry at best muffler shop in henderson. In fact I pick my jeep up today from him. Honest tells you is what and let's you know what you could wait on or what needs to be replaced to keep you safe and your jeep on great working order. Give him a call at 564 6655. Tell him scott stemmer sent you

·
Registered
275 Posts
No had a new water pump and radiator put and rear brakes as well as oil transmission diff fluids flushed. And before this a new muffler put on after I smashed my old on some rocks. And before that headers after my stock manifold cracked by 4 inch. He's always fair

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry at best muffler shop in henderson. In fact I pick my jeep up today from him. Honest tells you is what and let's you know what you could wait on or what needs to be replaced to keep you safe and your jeep on great working order. Give him a call at 564 6655. Tell him scott stemmer sent you
Thanks....do you think he is knowledgeable on the death wobble issues?, I want him to tackle mainly that issue, and if he can solve it then he for sure will be my main mechanic...

·
Registered
277 Posts
from what I understand the death wobble comes from not having the bolts in the front drive and suspension torqued to the right specs, but that's just what I have heard I have never had to deal with it myself.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Death wobble is a lot more than that. It can be caused by a gist if issues and us usually very apparent once the cause is found. It can also be the total of all parts involved wearing.

So you need someone with good knowledge and inspection skills to identify the culprit(s) and not to leave any if the steering and suspension parts overlooked. Don't let them mask it with a quick new steering damper and alignment.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My jeep is very sensitive to wheel balance. I've had death wobble at 60-65 before that cleared after getting my tires rebalanced. These short wheelbase vehicles are sensitive to worn or imbalanced suspensions, steering and tires.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well we had the wheels rotated and balanced.....that didn't take care of it.
I noticed the steering stabilizer had an oil like substance dripping slowly out of it. now I have it in the mechanic to have that changed out.......just pulling my last two hairs out

·
Registered
288 Posts
Call Larry at Vegas 4x4. He has plenty of experience in specifically Jeep suspension and will absolutely help you out. I'll bet my name on him any day of the week. They're located in Building W of the industrial buildings next to Vegas Motor Speedway, and their phone number is 702-701-0115.

Personally, I'll bet that it has something to do with your track bar bolts oval-ing out. If you search for it, you'll find it. In the earlier JK's and JKU's, Jeep used a Metric sized bolt in an Imperial sized bolt hole for the trackbar mount on the axle side. It ended up being less and a 1/16th of an inch of play between the bolt and the mount, but with increased vibration over years of driving the Jeep, it would round out the hole and create a violent vibreation after hitting a significant bump or pothole. Hope this helps! Call my buddy Larry!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Call Larry at Vegas 4x4. He has plenty of experience in specifically Jeep suspension and will absolutely help you out. I'll bet my name on him any day of the week. They're located in Building W of the industrial buildings next to Vegas Motor Speedway, and their phone number is 702-701-0115.

Personally, I'll bet that it has something to do with your track bar bolts oval-ing out. If you search for it, you'll find it. In the earlier JK's and JKU's, Jeep used a Metric sized bolt in an Imperial sized bolt hole for the trackbar mount on the axle side. It ended up being less and a 1/16th of an inch of play between the bolt and the mount, but with increased vibration over years of driving the Jeep, it would round out the hole and create a violent vibreation after hitting a significant bump or pothole. Hope this helps! Call my buddy Larry!
Thanks a boatload, I sure appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts