Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Secretly shopping for a Wrangler to surprise my husband. Found a good looking 2001 w 6" lift kit; new engine at 109,000 miles. Not sure what I should look for/ask about/be concerned about with this year/model of Jeep. Open to suggestions...thanks!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
rusted frame, wrecked, rust in general, lift quality, ride quality, was the brakes and other upgrades done to run the tires that are probably under the 6 inch lift.

This is probably the stuff you should check. 2001 Jeeps are good to go...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Secretly shopping for a Wrangler to surprise my husband. Found a good looking 2001 w 6" lift kit; new engine at 109,000 miles. Not sure what I should look for/ask about/be concerned about with this year/model of Jeep. Open to suggestions...thanks!

One thing is for sure, your awesome and he's a lucky fella ! Going thru all that trouble just to please him! He'll yeah!look for rust, look for the lift being done right lifted springs lifted shocks etc.if you don't know a whole lot about it, I'd suggest find a mechanic to tell u this stuff.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
6" lift better be done with long arms otherwise it will ride poorly. I suggest buying a stock rig so he can spend time upgrading to his own requirements. Make sure you buy a TJ with the 6 cylinder engine. If you buy the 4 cylinder he will secretly hate the vehicle but will never sell it to avoid hurting your feelings.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
As indicated above, 6" is a very high lift if indeed that's what it has. It is more than many have here and in general is beyond a height that is necessary. It really requires a lot of money and technical know how to do it right. Unless you know someone that really knows Jeeps or if this one does not come from someone or a shop that has a lot of backing or knowledge,I'd stay away.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
As indicated above, 6" is a very high lift if indeed that's what it has. It is more than many have here and in general is beyond a height that is necessary. It really requires a lot of money and technical know how to do it right. Unless you know someone that really knows Jeeps or if this one does not come from someone or a shop that has a lot of backing or knowledge,I'd stay away.
^^^this..!

·
Registered
13 Posts
6" lift better be done with long arms otherwise it will ride poorly. I suggest buying a stock rig so he can spend time upgrading to his own requirements. Make sure you buy a TJ with the 6 cylinder engine. If you buy the 4 cylinder he will secretly hate the vehicle but will never sell it to avoid hurting your feelings.
I love my banger! But this is a good point. Make sure its a 6 cylinder. Also look for rust, especially on the frame. Find someone you trust who has experience with lifted Jeeps. If the lift is done wrong it could end up costing a lot more in the long run! Maybe there's someone local to you on here that would be willing to help.

Also 6 inches is a huge lift and will ride a whole lot different than most other Jeeps so make sure you know that's something he'd like. If not, I'd look for a stock or moderately lifted Jeep. If there's an ad online with pictures you could post it here and maybe that could help get you more input. (If you're not worried someone might swoop in and buy it before you have the chance.)

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts