Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jeeps having trouble keeping up on the highway and my best option is to re-gear. While I’m at it I might as well throw in some lockers since it would be cheaper while they’re installing the gears.

But here’s my deal - I’ve got the stock SE axles, which are not known to be super tough. If I put higher gears and lockers there’s a good chance I’m going to break something at some point.

So before I put money into the stock axles I want to consider replacing them with something stronger. What axles do I need to look out for? I’m looking for something that won’t really require fabrication and will just go right in. It’s a 97 TJ, and I’ve got 31” on it now will probably go no higher than 33/35. At some point an engine swap will be in the works too because although the 2.5 is pretty much bulletproof I need more power and when it goes I’m not putting another 4 cyl in it unless it’s a diesel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that’s a good place to start. So I’d be looking for a D44 in front and back? I know dumb question lol.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
If you have a 2.5 engine no gears will help you keep up on the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,763 Posts
S35 upgrade for your rear axle should handle most applications up to 35", as long as you arent swapping in some beefy V8

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason why I’m keeping the wheezy 2.5 mad squirrel is because 1) it’s there and 2) it’s 230k+ miles strong and still going. It’s never going to be a race car, and if I had done it over again I would have waited for a 4.0 like my Cherokee used to have. Only problem with it was it was 2wd. If I ever do a swap I’ll probably stick with the tried and true Chevy smallblock. It’s the easiest and most cost efficient.

So with 33”-35” in the future maybe, a 3” or so lift and no crazy rock crawling, just the occasional trail up in OK and some off road shenanigans, you think my axles will be ok? I have zero plan on going absolutely crazy with this jeep as it still needs to be streetable.

·
Super Moderator
6,763 Posts
absolutely.

in current configuration you can lock the front and leave the rear open and run 33's or add shafts for the front and do a S35 kit for the rear and you can run 35's...with a bunch of other mods but the axles will be strong enough

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That certainly sets my mind at ease a bit. I just have to now find a place that won’t rip me off to put some gears in and maybe convince them to swap out the shafts while they’re in there. I got a quote from some “off road” shop up here in Dallas for $1600 on both axles for 4.88 gears. I know it ain’t cheap but that seems a bit high. Thanks all!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts