Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a '97 Sahara from a used car dealer, and although it has Smitty-Bilt bumpers and fog lights, everything else appeared mostly stock. After looking through it a little closer, a few things began coming to light such as 2 batteries (mounts, etc, all appear to be stock), and visit to the repair shop shows at least a Dana rear end. Everything about this Jeep appears stock, but "heavier" than a traditional stock Jeep. Even the frame & body welds appear about double the length and thickness of my '94 - which could just be an upgrade in the way the factory does things, but I'm not aware of anything there.

Can anyone shed light on what exactly we may have here? Did someone just do a good job of making upgrades appear factory? Were any YJ built to other standards for specific users or applications?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
To start, a 97 is a TJ not a YJ. Not sure if you knew that? I can't offer any other info, sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
My wife bought a '97 Sahara from a used car dealer, and although it has Smitty-Bilt bumpers and fog lights, everything else appeared mostly stock. After looking through it a little closer, a few things began coming to light such as 2 batteries (mounts, etc, all appear to be stock), and visit to the repair shop shows at least a Dana rear end. Everything about this Jeep appears stock, but "heavier" than a traditional stock Jeep. Even the frame & body welds appear about double the length and thickness of my '94 - which could just be an upgrade in the way the factory does things, but I'm not aware of anything there.

Can anyone shed light on what exactly we may have here? Did someone just do a good job of making upgrades appear factory? Were any YJ built to other standards for specific users or applications?

97 is a TJ, But my YJ build sheet claims it came with dual 730 Amp maintenance free batteries as well and it did not i dont think any wrangler ever came with dual batteries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
steves92 & agalloch07

Thanks for the input - and you are correct that they went to TJ in '97. My bad.

I'm still not sure exactly what we have here, but it does not seem to fit the mold.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks joeycarnuba

I did the free online VIN search, which turned up nothing unusual. I have not purchased any of the more complete reports yet. That may be the next step

·
Registered
168 Posts
Carfax may also help. My VIN search also stated my 1991 came with dual batteries and there is no sign of that ever being true although the Carfax did let me know I am the 7th owner so who knows what happened along the way.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
I always try to do any mods to look like a factory installation.
Having retired from the auto body business (first half of my career as a tech and the second half as a shop owner), it's a point of pride for me to have another Jeeper or mechanic look at my Jeep and compliment me on my workmanship.
I'm certainly not a hack, but for me, there is a degree of practicality in how much time I want to spend on a daily driver.
For instance, when I painted my Jeep, I painted the underside the hood, but not the fender aprons nor the firewall. Sat "fie" if you want. The aprons and firewall will get painted once I have a rebuilt engine and transmission done and ready to install. With the engine out of the way, it's easy enough to remove everything off the firewall and prep & paint it.

I don't think I am particularly unique. There are plenty of builders more picky than I am. Perhaps you were lucky enough to get a Jeep that was built by someone like that.
Did your purchase paperwork include the name of the prior owner? Perhaps you can contact the PO and get some input as to what was done and what came stock.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Arby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas, all. We will keep looking, but at the end of the day it's not critical - unless I run into something wrong and can't find parts to fix it. Overall, it's a solid Jeep and will probably be with her for a while

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Not sure about TJs, but YJs come stock with Dana30 rear axle assemblies.

Perhaps another poster with a YJ and a TJ can comment.

Try posting your question in the TJ section. maybe someone there has one of each.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not sure about TJs, but YJs come stock with Dana30 rear axle assemblies.

Perhaps another poster with a YJ and a TJ can comment.

Try posting your question in the TJ section. maybe someone there has one of each.

Good Luck, L.M.
d30 is the front axle.. dana 35 is the model number of the rear axle

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Doggone it! My mistake. Cracked is correct.

Usually I pull straight into my garage, but I backed in to unload some gear. My Jeep was confused about which end was which.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
565 Posts

Usually I pull straight into my garage, but I backed in to unload some gear. My Jeep was confused about which end was which.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,928 Posts

Good Luck, L.M.
You sure you didn't put the tub on backwards after you painted it?:lmao:

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
You sure you didn't put the tub on backwards after you painted it?:lmao:
I wondered why the steering wheel was in the back seat. I think it happened when I installed the body lift.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts