Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in East Texas and have a 95 Wrangler with a SOA lift. I am looking to have it upgraded a bit. I want a ford 8.8 swapped in and a regear on both axles. While the Frontend is being messed with I want the balljoints, and wheel bearings replaced. If I have enough $ i was gonna buy a new transfercase from qudratec that has the SYE kit already in place and just sell or save my old one. I have $3000-$3600 to spend but dont know of a good shop to do the work. I cant do it since my apt manager is a beotch!

Anyone know of a shop in the Tyler/Longview area?? Please lmk!

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a damn good deal . I've Been looking For a week now. Best price I've found is 300-350.

Also check the gears in the 8.8. If they match the gears your want in the front you just saved yourself $500!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know what another place is selling a NP231 and SYE kit together for, but I would imagine it's $1000+. Then you also have to buy the driveshaft (which looks like another $315 there). In my opinion (especially since you're having a shop do this work), you're killing most your budget right there. Reuse your current NP231, buy a SYE for $170 and a driveshaft ($250 for a Tatton's which is what I run and IMHO the best out there). Now you're in for $420 instead of $1300+. That gives you much more money to play with.

8.8 YJ kit, about $150 or so from Mountain Offroad. You'll want a diff cover as well because the stock 8.8 one is tin foil.

Ball joints aren't fun at all to replace, but can be had for a good price at Advance. Hub bearing are a cake job to do. Pick those up at Advance as well. Split it up into several orders and use a coupon code to save some $$$. I just recently did this job myself and Advance is where I got them from. Advance Auto Parts Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for advanceautoparts.com

You're still at well less than $1000 with all the parts you need to do a swap. While all this is being done at your shop (regearing, hub replacement etc) it shouldn't cost any more in labor to toss in some chromo shafts. Nitro are the best around and I get great pricing on them. They're what I run and they're awesome. Ditto on the gears and install kits. In parts you're still less than $2000.

Longview Driveshaft is in Longview and does custom 4x4 work.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man this cash is burning a hole in my pocket! I really don't go off road too much maybe 4 times a year. My wife and I like to go over to Big Bend Texas state park an camp.

I just want this to be a solid rig I can drive AND use if needed. I bought the heavy duty upper and lower ball joints from 4wheel parts awhile back. But I used that code for wheel bearings\hubs. Thanks a lot!! I'm on 35s and a SOA. I was looking at grabbing an optima battery and maybe a mean green alternator an some bushwacker cut out pocket flares.

Btw that 8.8... That guy is a joke. He pulled the cover and the carrier is cracked. I may just rebuild the D35 and hope for the best.

I'm gonna keep the xfercase for now. I can fun better uses for the $$ on my Jeep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts