Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Long time lurker, first time poster! I am planning on purchasing and building an Unlimited Rubicon (w/5spd Auto) in the near future and I have gathered a general game plan and was hoping for some input on the proposed build.

The Jeep will be used as a daily driver averaging roughly 7,000mi per year, of which about 60% is highway. I would like to get it off road once or twice a month with a yearly visit to the Rubicon trail.

Here is the proposed suspension build:

- 3.5" lift (see questions below)
- 35" BFG MT KM2s on either AEV or RockStar rims
- Synergy or Dynatrac ball joint set
- Synergy C-Gusset kit
- Synergy Axle Sleeve kit
- Fox Reservoir Shocks
- Fox Steering Stabilizer
- AEV ProCal Module
- Front/Rear Bumpers and winch TBA

My biggest question at the moment is Rock Krawler or AEV for the lift? If RK, which one (X-Factor or X-Factor Long Arm)? The additional cost of the RK lift is OK if it really results in a better product. How will both fair in the on-road environment as well as the usual off-road stuff? How about for the occasional trip to something a bit more serious like the Rubicon?

Any other suggestions or comments on the proposed build would be greatly welcomed! :)

I have gather so much info so far from the Wrangler Forum! This is a great resource and hopefully one of these days I can contribute back! :beerdrinking:

ERAU

·
Registered
302 Posts
Most people go with the 2.5-3" lift. When you go over the 3" lift then you start opening the door for steering issues. I have a 4" lift and regret it. If you plan on going with a tall lift then you will need to add more parts to the list.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you're going to run 35's, a 2.5 is adequate. You'll get a bit more that 2.5 inches of lift more than likely and 35's should fit fine, especially with trimmed or flat fenders. But you're saving yourself a lot of headaches like a new front drive shaft, steering issues, etc. 2.5 should be fine for what you want to do. Don't get me wrong, I love those JKU's with the big lifts and 37's but they aren't practical for a DD. 2.5 w/ 35's should be good to go off-road and pleasant on the street.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you're going to run 35's, a 2.5 is adequate. You'll get a bit more that 2.5 inches of lift more than likely and 35's should fit fine, especially with trimmed or flat fenders. But you're saving yourself a lot of headaches like a new front drive shaft, steering issues, etc. 2.5 should be fine for what you want to do. Don't get me wrong, I love those JKU's with the big lifts and 37's but they aren't practical for a DD. 2.5 w/ 35's should be good to go off-road and pleasant on the street.
I agree. Big lifts look good but create a major headache and cost $$$. I suffer from the big lift issues even after spending $700 on just my front end. IMO you should look at a re-gear if you plan on running 35s for power and fuel economy. I think kjeeper10 has some threads on lifts that will be very helpful in making your decision.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
The X-Factor is a better kit in my opinion at that height. The AEV comes with bracketry, a bent OEM Trackbar, brake line brackets and a couple things that really aren't necessary but are included.

The X-Factor has all 8 adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbars F/R and brake lines. A key benefit to the arms is that the rears push the rear axle back 1" to recenter it under the wheel wells. The RK triple rate coils ride fantastic on road and RK is top notch when running off-road and can MORE than handle the Rubicon trail. The AEV can too but at these heights I like the adjustability of control arms, trackbars and such. The long arm is great too but you need to ask yourself will you need and see the benefits of long arm. It is quite a bit more expensive and the install requires cutting and welding. Here is a link to the RK X-Factor on my website Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks - RockRaider Off-road

You didn't mention the year of your JK but for the 2012+ JK's, an exhaust spacer is recommended at 2.5"+ lifts or a front driveshaft. For 2007-2011 JK's I recommend a front driveshaft regardless for a JKU and both driveshafts for a JK 2 door.

I can get you everything on your list. PM me if you want a quote or any advice.

Thanks
-Dan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most people go with the 2.5-3" lift. When you go over the 3" lift then you start opening the door for steering issues. I have a 4" lift and regret it. If you plan on going with a tall lift then you will need to add more parts to the list.
Hi Yeti!

Thanks for the reply. Which 4" lift are you running and what about it makes you regret it?

ERAU

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The X-Factor is a better kit in my opinion at that height. The AEV comes with bracketry, a bent OEM Trackbar, brake line brackets and a couple things that really aren't necessary but are included.

The X-Factor has all 8 adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbars F/R and brake lines. A key benefit to the arms is that the rears push the rear axle back 1" to recenter it under the wheel wells. The RK triple rate coils ride fantastic on road and RK is top notch when running off-road and can MORE than handle the Rubicon trail. The AEV can too but at these heights I like the adjustability of control arms, trackbars and such. The long arm is great too but you need to ask yourself will you need and see the benefits of long arm. It is quite a bit more expensive and the install requires cutting and welding. Here is a link to the RK X-Factor on my website Rock Krawler 3.5" X-Factor w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks - RockRaider Off-road

You didn't mention the year of your JK but for the 2012+ JK's, an exhaust spacer is recommended at 2.5"+ lifts or a front driveshaft. For 2007-2011 JK's I recommend a front driveshaft regardless for a JKU and both driveshafts for a JK 2 door.

I can get you everything on your list. PM me if you want a quote or any advice.

Thanks
-Dan
Great info Daniel!

The vehicle would be a new JRUR. Depending on timing, it would either be a 2014 or 2015.

Which one of these two lifts would have the best on-road ride?

Thanks again everyone for the input!
-ERAU

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi All!

The Jeep will be used as a daily driver averaging roughly 7,000mi per year, of which about 60% is highway. I would like to get it off road once or twice a month with a yearly visit to the Rubicon trail.

Here is the proposed suspension build:

- 3.5" lift (see questions below)
- 35" BFG MT KM2s on either AEV or RockStar rims
- Synergy or Dynatrac ball joint set
- Synergy C-Gusset kit
- Synergy Axle Sleeve kit
- Fox Reservoir Shocks
- Fox Steering Stabilizer
- AEV ProCal Module
- Front/Rear Bumpers and winch TBA

My biggest question at the moment is Rock Krawler or AEV for the lift? If RK, which one (X-Factor or X-Factor Long Arm)? The additional cost of the RK lift is OK if it really results in a better product. How will both fair in the on-road environment as well as the usual off-road stuff? How about for the occasional trip to something a bit more serious like the Rubicon?

Any other suggestions or comments on the proposed build would be greatly welcomed! :)

I have gather so much info so far from the Wrangler Forum! This is a great resource and hopefully one of these days I can contribute back! :beerdrinking:

ERAU
I do not know much about the RK lifts so I can't be of help there.

I do know that if this is going to be your daily driver you should scratch those BFG Mud Terrains and look at their All Terrains, or the General Grabber AT2s (which I prefer myself). Also I added the AEV Geo Correction Brackets to my kit and it was night and day improvement for a daily driver. I would definitely recommend you get these if you don't go long arm.

I have a 4" Currie Lift, and as stated above, once you get up around that height it is very time consuming and frustrating to get everything back they way you like it.

You will need:
Adj. Front Track arm.
Raised Track Bar Bracket (f/r)
Drag Link Flip Kit
And a lot of time.

I have the synergy ball joints, which are great if you cant afford the Dyna's.
I have the Fox's with resi's which are also amazing with the right spring combo.

One thing I would do different is ditch the sleeve kit and truss the axle instead, but make sure to have a professional weld it as you can bend your axle pretty easily.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Great info Daniel!

The vehicle would be a new JRUR. Depending on timing, it would either be a 2014 or 2015.

Which one of these two lifts would have the best on-road ride?

Thanks again everyone for the input!
-ERAU
Out of AEV or RK, it would be a toss up. AEV progressive coils and RK's triple rates both ride great.

A couple others to consider would be Teraflex and Synergy.

-Dan

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Yeti! Thanks for the reply. Which 4" lift are you running and what about it makes you regret it? ERAU
Unfortunately I have a ProComp lift. Rough Country CAs and Track Bars with a Synergy High Steer Kit. Not the best in the market but it gets the job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts