Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be starting a religious war, but I'm asking for opinions.

I'm looking for a replacement for my 2000 TJ. It just has too many problems and I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it.

Would you go for a TJ or JK (2 door since I tow it behind older motorhome). Plan is to have a lift good enough for 35's and I want Rubicon.

Please offer your thoughts and I'll post the same in the JK forum. I hope that's ok.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
If you had a TJ and are asking then as a 15 year old vehicle will require work you don’t sound like someone who wants to own another TJ

Now I would never choose to own a Wrangler newer than a TJ but I ain’t asking someone else which I want

If you owned a TJ and are asking you obviously don’t want a TJ
You may however not be happy with a JK either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Two totally different price ranges considering you’ll want a JK with the 3.6 not 3.8. What is your total budget?

Do you plan to traverse terrain that requires 35” tires or is this for looks? If you plan to actually wheel the TJ you’ll need to regear, install chromoly axle shafts, spend a few grand on suspension (if quality matters to you), upgrade steering and brakes.

JK owners will chime in on your other thread to discuss upgrades for 35s.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm not opposed to working on the TJ, it's just that it has problems with oil pressure and running hot. I'm not interested in replacing engine since I've had to fix so many other things. Engine main seal, oil pan gasket, high volume oil pump, head gasket, had to fix wires to oil sensor and fuel sensor, door seals, many others. I just don't want to keep something I'm worried about. Also, this is not a Jeep I'd want to loan my daughter and be comfortable that it wouldn't give her any issues. I guess I'm really in the market for a Jeep that hasn't been mistreated and will be more reliable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 35's are because clubs don't let you go on some of the runs unless you have lockers and 35's. Even though I've run a couple of them with my 2000 TJ with 33's when not with the club. As long as the upgrades come over time I'm not opposed to spending the $$$, but I'm not going to do them all at the beginning. Initial purchase I want to be $20k or under.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
JK Rubi's cost way more than a TJ Rubi. JK's suck if you don't get a 2012 or newer. If you get a 07-11, you basically have a oil burning POS engine. It's your money. JK's ride better.(y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally, I don't like the look of the JK to much. If you are looking at up to 20G why not just have your current TJ gone over by a mechanic you trust and fix anything that he thinks might give you issues. If you get another TJ you are probably going to eventually just end up fixing the same things that you have all ready replaced in your current TJ. Just my .02.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update. I went and got a 2015 JK and it has some nice upgrades like a Gamechanger 3.5" Rock Sport lift, Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle, ball joints, and Chromolly shafts all around.
So far, happy with the decision.

Thanks to all who helped with the decision.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I looked for almost 2 years for my 2004 TJ Rubicon and I can easily afford a new Rubicon. For $20k you should be able to find a nice 2003-2006 and have 1/4 that left over for upgrades and mods; plus you could swap the parts you like off your 2000 and then sell it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from a 2002 TJ on 35’s to a ‘14 JK 2 door Rubicon. I’d never go back. Just drove up to Michigan from Georgia in it without any complaints. The wife even found it comfortable. Not something I’d ever be able to do in the TJ.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a 2009 jk unlimited years ago, it was fine and handled PA winters like a boss, but it just didn’t feel like I thought a Jeep should. It was comfortable, kind of quiet, rode smooth, and just felt like a modern SUV more than a Jeep. I sold it years ago for my current 06 tj rubicon. Best decision ever.
They all got their problems, but the feeling of riding a Jeep (in my opinion) ended after 2006. As long as you don’t mind working on your rig, TJ rubicons are the coolest in my opinion. I like the noisy, slightly uncomfortable, rigs that they are. Enough with all the electronics and “safety” measures. Keep in mind this is the opinion of a 29 year old dude.

Good luck!

·
Knows a couple things...
48,892 Posts
My feeling is if you're the type that takes it to a mechanic or dealer for service I'd buy a JK or JL. If you want to work on it yourself I'd stick with a TJ.

When I found out that even the head and tail lights of a JK are controlled by a databus, that tipped the scale for me to avoid JKs and JLs unless I win the Lotto and can afford to let others fix my problems.

Databuses don't scare me, I spent years on the technical side of computers, I just don't want them on a Jeep I'll be working on.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My feeling is if you're the type that takes it to a mechanic or dealer for service I'd buy a JK or JL. If you want to work on it yourself I'd stick with a TJ.

When I found out that even the head and tail lights of a JK are controlled by a databus, that tipped the scale for me to avoid JKs and JLs unless I win the Lotto and can afford to let others fix my problems.
I rarely minded tackling whatever came along for repairs on my TJ. With my JK, I dread most.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts

Databuses don't scare me, I spent years on the technical side of computers, I just don't want them on a Jeep I'll be working on.
Given the track record of late model TJs I suspect you're talking about 03 and before?

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
04 basically identical to 03
It was only 05-06 that had some problematic changes as in 05 emissions standards had a significant ratchet up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
48,892 Posts
Given the track record of late model TJs I suspect you're talking about 03 and before?
I'm happy with 04 and older. My present TJ is an 04 and it has been fine. I'm no fan of the '05/06 models due to the OPDA problem and automatic transmission TCM problem. Fortunately, the 05/06 auto transmission problem is fixable with a new PCM from Wranglerfix.com

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I went from a 2002 TJ on 35’s to a ‘14 JK 2 door Rubicon. I’d never go back. Just drove up to Michigan from Georgia in it without any complaints. The wife even found it comfortable. Not something I’d ever be able to do in the TJ.
I prefer an uncomfortable ride so I can leave the wife at home and enjoy myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts