Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for the possible loudest component speaker 6.5 fronts and rears that I could find along with a 4ch. amp. Can someone suggest a loud combination for me. Just 6.5 speakers, no subs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I installed the Alpine SPR-60C components in the dash and sound bar of my Altitude. Both sets deliver 110 RMS per channel for a total RMS of 440. They are powered by Alpine's MRX-F65 4 channel amp which also delivers 110 RMS per channel at 4 Ohms. Another alternative would be to install the SPR-60 2 way speakers in the sound bar if you aren't looking for components for that space. They crank out 100 watts RMS per channel. If your Jeep came equipped with the factory subwoofer, I would seriously consider replacing it for a complete setup.

Check out http://www.crutchfield.com as a reference on power output of various speakers on the market. I don't know that I would buy from them as their prices tend to be much higher than sonicelectronix, Amazon, and onlinecarstereo.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed the Alpine SPR-60C components in the dash and sound bar of my Altitude. Both sets deliver 110 RMS per channel for a total RMS of 440. They are powered by Alpine's MRX-F65 4 channel amp which also delivers 110 RMS per channel at 4 Ohms. Another alternative would be to install the SPR-60 2 way speakers in the sound bar if you aren't looking for components for that space. They crank out 100 watts RMS per channel. If your Jeep came equipped with the factory subwoofer, I would seriously consider replacing it for a complete setup.

Check out Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras as a reference on power output of various speakers on the market. I don't know that I would buy from them as their prices tend to be much higher than sonicelectronix, Amazon, and onlinecarstereo.
How loud is your setup? Just wondering how far away from the Jeep you can still hear the lyrics?

·
Registered
539 Posts
How loud is your setup? Just wondering how far away from the Jeep you can still hear the lyrics?
It's extremely loud and the vocals are very clean even when I am outside the Jeep at a distance. When I bought my last JKU, I noticed immediately how crappy the factory system was and upgraded to the Alpine Type R because I knew they had a reputation for extremely clear vocals and musical subwoofers. I have 2 10" Alpine Type R subwoofers in a custom, sealed box and it doesn't have that obnoxious booming sound you hear from cheap systems going down the road.

I like Infinity, Polk, Focal, and JL as well, but Alpine's Type R series is my favorite by far.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You want volume or clarity?

Just look at the speakers sensitivity rating. It will tell you the loudest volume the speaker will go before distortion.

If you get a speaker rated at 88db. It means that the speaker will go up to 88db before it distorts. A speaker with a 90db rating will be louder.

But make sure the amp you get has a higher sensitivity than the speaker. If you get a 98db rated speaker, and a 88db rated amp, the speaker will only go as loud as the performance of the amp will allow.

Oh and I had a set of those alpine Rs and I hated them.

Edit:
What is your budget here? You can spend 2k on a set of components.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
You want volume or clarity?

Just look at the speakers sensitivity rating. It will tell you the loudest volume the speaker will go before distortion.

If you get a speaker rated at 88db. It means that the speaker will go up to 88db before it distorts. A speaker with a 90db rating will be louder.

But make sure the amp you get has a higher sensitivity than the speaker. If you get a 98db rated speaker, and a 88db rated amp, the speaker will only go as loud as the performance of the amp will allow.

Oh and I had a set of those alpine Rs and I hated them.

Edit:
What is your budget here? You can spend 2k on a set of components.
Total incorrect. Speaker sensitivity is a measurement of efficiency. The measurement is made by by placing a microphone (connected to a sound meter) 3ft away from the speaker and applying 1 watt to the speaker. The higher the reading the more efficient the speaker. And all things being equal the loader the speaker. But all things are not equal, there is the power handling capability of the speaker itself that will determine just how load a speaker will be.

There is quick and dirty way to calculate just how load a speaker can play. To double the sound of a speaker we need to increase sound by 10db. To do that we need to increase power output by 10. The following is a quick calculation of what this would look like:

Assume a 98db speaker capable of handling 100watts RMS and matching amplifier.

1w = 98DB
10W = 108db
100w = 118db

So 118db is the loudest this speaker would play continuous. Speakers and amps have some head room usually 2-3 times the rated RMS so it would be possible to hit a peak of 121db-122.5db. Takes twice the power to raise sound 3db. Remember this is at 3 ft, the farther you get away from teh source the quieter it will be.

This is all theory, in an actual application result will very as enclosure, shape of the vehicle etc all have a roll to play. You can easily spend more money on an audio system that what a new jeep costs. If you want to get real loud you will spend real money.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hifonics amps any good?
I would stay away from Hifonics as it is a lower end brand not known for good quality.

BTW, you can have both volume and clarity...you just need to make sure there is enough power running to your speakers so distortion doesn't set in at a higher volume. What TerryC6 said is right on the money.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would stay away from Hifonics as it is a lower end brand not known for good quality.

BTW, you can have both volume and clarity...you just need to make sure there is enough power running to your speakers so distortion doesn't set in at a higher volume. What TerryC6 said is right on the money.
I agree. Stay away from the cheap stuff. Volume and clarity and CHEAP do not go well together. Alpine is definitely the way to go, especially their amps. I have an Alpine amp and I could not be happier with it.

But, I would seriously consider a subwoofer if you want the volume loud and/or clear. Audio Sound is based on Bass, mid-range, and treble. Your System will sound very thin and irritating if all you have are treble/midrange speakers. 6.5" speakers are not going to give you good bass and therefore will seriously lack clarity and quality in the bass range because, they are basically just a treble and a mid range speaker. The crunching sound you hear when a midrange/treble speaker hits the bass drum is the cone damaging itself. I never hear that sound in my subwoofer.

Note:You don't have to turn up the subwoofer to shake the block to have clean bass. But, you do need one for clarity in the bass range.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You must not know anything about Stereos. Amps have, as we all know, different power ranges, but what you want to be concerned with is the Frequency Bandwidth and Power of the amp in question. And you match it to the Speaker you are driving. Basically, you would not want to use Low frequency amp in a Tweeter. I really recommend you go to a stereo shop and be prepared to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always go by RMS watts so for example 110 Rms each 6.5 comp. speaker and I run an amp that is 125x4 rms I should be good there right? An amp should always have higher RMS power than the speakers and turn up my headunit to volume 30 and adjust the amp according until it distorts and I should be good right?

Give me some good 4 channel amps suggestions that put power and clarity out as well as component speakers. Im old school back in the day where PPI art series were the best along with Phoenix Gold, and Rockford Fosgate by now are junk.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
Many schools of thought on how to setup the head unit, amp and speakers. I tend to have my amp rated at slightly less than my speakers if at all possible. Of course you can have a larger amp and adjust it down.

Has far as amp's go I like JL audio, made in the USA. As far as speakers go you really need to go listen. I am a fan of Morel. You could get a set of Supremo at $5K a pair. Handles 140W RMS and 600W peak with a freq response of 30-15000. Who needs a sub.

IN all honesty find a high end car audio shop in your area and go see them. Listen to different speakers and select what you like and then match the amp to the speakers. You just might find that a Fosgate amp hook up to a no name speaker sounds great.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, your right go to an auto electronics dealer and listen to what they have. I hear Focals are pretty good or RE. So you say $5k for a pair of speakers is nuts. I just want it loud so I can take the top off and we have noisy NY highways so Just want to hear my music more instead of other peoples tire noises going by and wind noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts