Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title reads, im looking for a quality sound system in my TJ. Considering going with boat speakers and an amp, they just seem so big and bulky. Anyone have any other routes thy went? Anyone go with boat speakers that aren't overly huge?

·
Commercial Member
7,891 Posts
Pics? and any more you can add?
Can you do this with out cutting into the seat?
I'll have to check my laptop if I took pics.

I have mine mounted in the bottom of the rear seat, down firing. Easiest with a shallow mount sub, but mine is a cheap pioneer in a truck style wedge box. You can feel it a bit when you sit in the back, but I rarely have anyone back there. You do have to cut some of the foam out and I think I removed one of the metal braces in there too.

I unzipped/rolled up the factory seat cover material, Then I cut some foam from the back of the upper rear seat and mounted my amp inside. It does not overheat because I don't drive around listening to rap all the time lol. Seriously though, even when it's cranked on the highway with top off, is never over heated in there.

Best thing, it's all 100% hidden, and I got my storage back behind the seat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I always recommend upgrading the speakers and installing a powered sub. Powered subs are plenty for a jeep, easy to install, and don't take up much room. You can get crafty with how and where you install it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed a 4 channel alpine amp under the steering wheel (using the link below as a guide) and replaced my front speakers with 5 1/2 inch kickers (using adapters purchased on amazon) and 6 1/2 inch kickers in the sound bar. My TJ has the center console "sub" so I also replaced that with a 6 inch "sub" and wired it to the amp in bridged mode. The two fronts are on the other channels, and the soundbar is still powered by the head unit. Sounds pretty damned good, and the amp stays tucked out of the way of weather and thieves. I'm not interested in heart pounding bass, so this works for me. I may upgrade to a 5 channel alpine later this year or next, and power all of the speakers off of it, but for now, it meets my needs.

Install an Amp Under the Dash for fifty cents -Lots of pics - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
I made some fiberglass A-Pillars for some 4" Polk's that really raised my front stage...could have easily put 5 1/4 up there. If you have the knowledge/ability, I would highly suggest it. I also put a 8" in my center console and put some 5 1/4 in the dash....all running off some amps I have hidden.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/4-speaker-in-tj-a-pillar-264886.html

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm running a Kenwood head unit with 5 1/2" Infinity's in the front, 6 1/2" Infinity's in the sounds pods, and a Sound Ordinance 8" powered sub inside the console. I love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts