Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 JK has the basic 130 radio in it - AM/FM/single CD. No Uconnect or any other bells and whistles.

I would like to replace it with a double DIN unit that will allow me to use my iphone hands free while driving.

I'm half deaf so higher end units and speakers won't do squat for me. I would prefer something plug and play where I can use the existing speakers and just plug them into the new head unit.

Is there anything out there that will let my phone work with it? Should I just be looking for a bluetooth compatible unit? I don't need navigation in it, I prefer Waze on my phone when traveling. Don't need to stack half a dozen CDs in it, don't even listen to single CDs.

Please educate me and provide suggestions for what I'm looking for....if it exists.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
There are lots of options. Since you don’t have UConnect, it may be more cost effective to go with an aftermarket unit. Are you concerned with the unit getting wet or damp? If so, that will somewhat limit you.

What model iPhone? If new enough, Apple CarPlay is pretty slick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s an iPhone SE. I don’t like the bigger/newer iPhones. Not worried about getting it wet, the top stays on. Just looking for a basic plug and play that will let me drive and talk on the phone hands free.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you don't care about Sirius or the steering wheel controls, pretty much any radio that supports HF will work. You will need the interface harness for a JK and you may need a PAC module as canbus does control the off-on and dimmer functions but if you don't care about that, direct wire the power to battery and accessory.

Reactions: Captain Skip
1 - 4 of 4 Posts