Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so Harbor Freight had a 25% off Memorial day sale today so I figured I'd pick up one of their 440 lb electric hoists. If this doesn't work out I can take it back.

What I am not sure of is where to mount the hoist. I can go up in the attic or somewhere off to the side of the garage but mounted up high. Then I guess I'd need a pulley(??)? The thing I didn't know is that the hoist frame is threaded so I would have to have access to the bolts to screw them in. Obviously I will have to go find longer bolts but I'm just not sure how to do this if I mount it on the side wall.
Then I'll need some straps that can hold the top
Any thoughts? It might be a week or two before I can get this project done but that gives me some time to get some info on it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I mounted mine against my wall of my garage wast high I was concerned with it being on top and ripping off ...the thing is very heavy will try to get you a pic tomm of the wall install it is very secure. The cable is very long so you do not have to mount it on the roof you just need pulleys installed to run the cable along the wall and ceiling.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used a 20% off coupon and bought the same hoist last weekend (it kills me that I missed saving an extra 5%). In my case, I mounted it to a section of barn door track via a couple of rollers so I can slide it to one side of the garage. I used rollers similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Nati...=1496116965&sr=8-3&keywords=barn+door+rollers

...I replaced the bolts hanging down from the middle of each roller with an eye bolt, and ran a longer bolt between them suspending the hoist through the u-shaped brackets. Hopefully that makes sense- let me know if it doesn't.

One downside to this hoist is that it's faster than the hand crank winch I used to use, so you don't have quite the same control. I suppose it would work if you mounted it to a wall, but you're better off with a ceiling mount as that extra speed + the slop from hanging a pulley or two would make things interesting.

·
Registered
210 Posts
alternative

I just built something that performs the same function, but comes at it from a different perspective.

I used a harbor freight engine hoist, and with some guidance from jasonegla, I made my own. It uses a linkage system to keep the platform parallel as it is being raised.

Unfortunately, I made the platform too big.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies.

nvjeep - Ideally, that's the way I'd like to do it. BUt how did you connect the cable to the tie downs?? DO you have enough slack that you can lower your top to the garage floor? That's one thing with my attic. I don't think I'd have enough slack to lower it very much although I haven't actually measured it.

Jeepster - I've seen thjat video and do like that method but I'd rather not do a "t" if I can get away with out it.

I do like how his is mounted to the floor and he has pulleys.
I'd like to see pics if you have them.

Paul - Any pics of yours???

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same hoist, connected to ceiling joist of the garage. I used square tubing from Lowes (can't remember if it was 1.5x1.5) 3 feet long. Connected it to the joist with 4 inch lag bolts. I then just run the cable down to a wooden T bar that I created after watching some YT videos. Let me know if you want a picture of my set up... It was pretty simple to make.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same hoist, connected to ceiling joist of the garage. I used square tubing from Lowes (can't remember if it was 1.5x1.5) 3 feet long. Connected it to the joist with 4 inch lag bolts. I then just run the cable down to a wooden T bar that I created after watching some YT videos. Let me know if you want a picture of my set up... It was pretty simple to make.
Sure, I'll take some pics. So, is your hoist right above the top or off to the side?

That's my main issue here is that I would like for it to be in the attic right above the top, it seems easier (although not easy) to put it up high on a wall off to the side. Then I'd need to find some pulleys.
Is it an issue pulling the top up when the hoist is to the side rather than right above?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have that same hoist. The hangers/brackets that it comes with are sized to wrap around a piece of unistrut that is readily available at home depot or lowes. I used a 3-4 foot section lagged into multiple ceiling joists, then just used the brackets that came with the hoist.

The extra chains that are wrapped around the strut in the picture go around the truss in the attic. They don't really hold anything, but are there just as a safety measure in case the lag screws should pull out. It was a belt and suspenders approach that in retrospect wasn't really necessary.

As far as the question regarding lowering it to the floor, I have the cable doubled up (which is where the 440 pound rating comes from) and I still have enough cable to lower the top all the way to the floor with cable left over. My garage ceiling is pretty high.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
channel strut

what tool are people using to cut channel struts? it looks pretty beefy. Can you get through it with a sawzall?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I just used a hacksaw. I've got a sawz-all but it wasn't worth breaking it out for such a small job. The wall thickness is probably between 1/16th-1/8th and it's mild steel, so it only took a minute.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did mine....
So, after this pic you added a pulley or something? You're not pulling the load straight up. This is how I was thinking of doing mine.

How do the brackets attach to the hoist? Do they dig into the 2x6 that's mounted into the stud??

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just used a hacksaw. I've got a sawz-all but it wasn't worth breaking it out for such a small job. The wall thickness is probably between 1/16th-1/8th and it's mild steel, so it only took a minute.
Cool I might use struts to hold it to the ceiling. Good to know it's not that difficult to cut. Also thinking about using struts for possibly building a structure for inside the jeep.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So..... I didn't want to mount the winch above because the cord to raise/lower the top would kinda get in the way when you raise lower it --ESPECIALLY since I have 11' ceilings and the control cord is short. I figured mounting the winch to the side wall would get the cord out of the way and make it easier for me to raise/lower.

What I did was lag bolt the 2x6 to the wall. I ran 8 bolts into it (over kill I'm sure). Once I had the board mounted I put up the angle iron (or whatever you call it) and marked where I was gonna mount it. Then I drilled pilot holes and started lightly running in lag screws on one side of the angle iron. I mounted the brackets that came with the winch and then slid the winch onto the angle iron. I then ran the lag screws in on the other side. It was a HUGE pain doin all of this on a ladder by myself. Having another set of hands would have made it super easy. But I had to hold the winch, hold the lags, and run the impact to get them in.

And yes.... I got a heavy duty pulley off of amazon for like $20 and mounted it into the board in the ceiling. I actually used bolts to hold the pulley onto the board and then lagged the board to the ceiling.

It works GREAT!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Recip saw with a metal blade eats right through the struts (angle iron)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts