Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been a while since i posted and I decided to go ahead with a pretty big swap to a 5.9l magnum v8. So far the whole swap has gone about as according to plan as I could hope however I've ran into a issue with my speedometer. I used a ECU from a 99 ram 1500 to ensure compatibility with my 2000 tj cluster, and everything but the speedo and odo are working. Nothing is coming through the ECU for speedo and its throwing a speed sensor code.

As it stands I have a magnum from 2001 dodge durango, a 4 speed auto transmission from a 2001 dodge durango and the stock tj transfer case (with a new spline). The 4 speed transmission has 2 speed sensors on it, that the durango would use for the speedo and were speedo was functioning in the previous durango donor. The jeep TC has a speed sensor on it that was removed from the wiring harness.

All of the swap information I went over ahead of time never brought up any issues with the speed sensors to look out for so I'm at a bit of a loss. Originally I thought the ECU was looking for the 3rd speed sensor on the tj transfer case, however I'm being told that the dodge ecu will not and can not see a 3rd TC speed sensor by the guy who did the wiring harness.

This is further complicated by the fact that the ECU is apparently reprogrammed to think its half of a dodge ram and half of a jeep tj (to what extent I do not know).

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Side note: going from a 2.5l 4cylinder to a 5.9l v8 is quite the change, and oh so fun :D:awesome:

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
The tranny speed sensors are typically two wire induction sensors that generate a sine wave the speed sensor on your transfer case is a hall three wire sensor that has a power ( usually 5 volts and a ground and a signal that is square wave)

I know the WJ and I think the durango and maybe the ram had a abs control that used wheel inductive sensors input but outputs included a single square wave speed signal to the pcm

I know those pcm are comparable with the tj Hal sensor as the XJ guys that added RB1 nav radio needed a pci encoded speedo signal

Their pcm and cluster were CCD so to make the nav radio work they just added a dummey wj pci pcm and only hooked bat plus ground and ignition on power

Then they just Ted the speed sensor wire input on the WJ pcm to the existing speed sensor signal wire and the wj pcm pci output to the pci lead on the RB1 radio and all was fine

You need to see if the dodge pcm you have has a regular speed sensor input wire not a tranny input or output speed sensor as they are different pins on pcm

What year is your ram pcm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
So looking at last of the V8 ram CCD pcm which was 2000
The speedsensor should connect to the white /orange wire on pin 27 of the C2 black connector on the pcm

The speed sensor plus 5 could be taken from the pin 31 orange wire of that same connector

Sensor ground should be the black /lt blue wire of pin 4 of the C1 PCM connector

With those three wires hooked to the appropriate wires on the transfer case output connector the ram pcm should have a usable speed signal to encrust and send over the CCD bus to the cluster making speedo and odometer function

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So looking at last of the V8 ram CCD pcm which was 2000
The speedsensor should connect to the white /orange wire on pin 27 of the C2 black connector on the pcm

The speed sensor plus 5 could be taken from the pin 31 orange wire of that same connector

Sensor ground should be the black /lt blue wire of pin 4 of the C1 PCM connector

With those three wires hooked to the appropriate wires on the transfer case output connector the ram pcm should have a usable speed signal to encrust and send over the CCD bus to the cluster making speedo and odometer function

Yeah its either a 99 or a 00, both should be CCD I just forget what truck I pulled this one out from (had 2 other ECUS that ended up being junk).

By output connector I assuming you mean the yellow connector in this image?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Yep that yellow circle is the speed sensor

Also as you are probably aware the gear on the other end is off center so rotating the sensor in its hole moves it closer or further from the gear that drives it letting one sensor work with various size gears

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that yellow circle is the speed sensor

Also as you are probably aware the bear on the other end is off sentry so rotating the sensor in its hole move it closer or further from the gear that drives it letting one sensor work with various size gears

Awesome, thank you very much. I'll be taking this to the shop that did my wiring since they were 100% convinced that the TC speed sensor wouldn't work with the dodge ecu but couldn't give me any reason why my speedo didn't work. Hopefully they agree to fix the wiring considering what I paid to get it done the first time around :/ I'm really not comfortable working on wiring myself and god knows where they ended up running those wires to..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome, thank you very much. I'll be taking this to the shop that did my wiring since they were 100% convinced that the TC speed sensor wouldn't work with the dodge ecu but couldn't give me any reason why my speedo didn't work. Hopefully they agree to fix the wiring considering what I paid to get it done the first time around :/ I'm really not comfortable working on wiring myself and god knows where they ended up running those wires to..
Vendeta44, what ended up happening?

Also, curious if you could post a pic of your engine bay (with the 5.9 installed).

Are you happy with the swap?

Would you recommend it?

Has the wiring been the biggest hiccup?

Thanks...considering dong this swap at some point. I have a '97 Wrangler that has the 4cyl, 4x4, and Auto trans...it's just a "toy" for riding around, top off, etc, but wouldn't mind a little more power...toss up between the 5.9 or finding a 6cyl to swap in...

Thanks
Caleb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vendeta44, what ended up happening?

Also, curious if you could post a pic of your engine bay (with the 5.9 installed).

Are you happy with the swap?

Would you recommend it?

Has the wiring been the biggest hiccup?

Thanks...considering dong this swap at some point. I have a '97 Wrangler that has the 4cyl, 4x4, and Auto trans...it's just a "toy" for riding around, top off, etc, but wouldn't mind a little more power...toss up between the 5.9 or finding a 6cyl to swap in...

Thanks
Caleb
Everything functions on my swap now. Well except the o2 sensors because they ****ed up my exhaust (no cat and only 1 o2 sensor) but that can be fixed, I just haven't bothered yet.

I absolutely adore my 5.9. The power is amazing, the sound in glorious and it gets tons of of compliments and questions. Nothing like stepping on the pedal and getting deafening raw v8 power and overtaking slow pokes in sports cars.

Would I recommend it? Sure! If you want to suck back gas (10-18mpg) never hear you radio unless its above 30 and want to empty your wallet. The 5.2 will get you similar power with better milage and a bit more reliability, a chevy 350 will be a easier swap all around. Really its all on what your going for, a 6 cyl swap is far easier and will have plenty of power for most things, but its kinda boring.

Wiring wasn't fun, but its not terribly hard. Just make sure you get the right ECU to match your gauge cluster. Backwoods offroad have a great FAQ for the dodge v8 swaps(if your in the USA I highly recommend just having them redo you harness) and pirate 4x4 also has another great faq. Just do you research before hand.

Count on at least replacing your rear axle, possibly your front. D35 will not hold up the v8 in the long run, I went with a ford 8.8 and its been excellent.

https://i.imgur.com/ujpgu3q.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/20yXUiH.jpg?1

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everything functions on my swap now. Well except the o2 sensors because they ****ed up my exhaust (no cat and only 1 o2 sensor) but that can be fixed, I just haven't bothered yet.

I absolutely adore my 5.9. The power is amazing, the sound in glorious and it gets tons of of compliments and questions. Nothing like stepping on the pedal and getting deafening raw v8 power and overtaking slow pokes in sports cars.

Would I recommend it? Sure! If you want to suck back gas (10-18mpg) never hear you radio unless its above 30 and want to empty your wallet. The 5.2 will get you similar power with better milage and a bit more reliability, a chevy 350 will be a easier swap all around. Really its all on what your going for, a 6 cyl swap is far easier and will have plenty of power for most things, but its kinda boring.

Wiring wasn't fun, but its not terribly hard. Just make sure you get the right ECU to match your gauge cluster. Backwoods offroad have a great FAQ for the dodge v8 swaps(if your in the USA I highly recommend just having them redo you harness) and pirate 4x4 also has another great faq. Just do you research before hand.

Count on at least replacing your rear axle, possibly your front. D35 will not hold up the v8 in the long run, I went with a ford 8.8 and its been excellent.

https://i.imgur.com/ujpgu3q.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/20yXUiH.jpg?1

Awesome! Thanks...not sure what I'm going to ultimately do, but like the options!

Thanks for the pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts