Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I picked up a 1990 wrangler. This is my first jeep so I am not too familiar with them but have a good general knowledge of how everything works. I had some exhaust work done on it and changed the starter. After that it drove fine for a little over two hundred miles. Then, I was taking off from a red light calmly and once I got to about ten-fifteen miles an hour it just cut out completely. It would run on starter fluid and had the original fuel pump so I thought it could be that. A new pump was only $16 dollars so I replaced it. The jeep would still not get fuel to the carb. I then primed the fuel line and it started and ran for about twenty minutes. Then it stopped running again. If I had the mechanical pump installed wrong would it have even ran for those twenty minutes? Any other ideas of what it may be?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I cant remember, but there may be a filter where the fuel line goes into the carb. If you have already changed the main fuel filter you may want to check the one in the carb too.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I cant remember, but there may be a filter where the fuel line goes into the carb. If you have already changed the main fuel filter you may want to check the one in the carb too.
x-2, a lot of the carbs had a small brass colored filter on them, most folks take them off as they block up pretty easily..if the fuel line is rubber it could be bad internally..collapsing. Did you have the fuel line disconnected at the carb and turned the engine over and no fuel??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have disconnected the line that goes from the pump to the carb. That is where it wasn't getting fuel. The filter is by the carb. Is there another one by the tank too? And would it run fine then just cut out randomly and not start again if it was a filter?

·
Registered
288 Posts
What is the gas gauge reading?...My '90 yj will run out of fuel at a little less than 1/4 tank on the gauge...if low..dump 5 gals. in and see if it starts.Make sure the lines are not rotted out along the frame too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had just filled it up not long before. Probably has about 30 miles on the tank. . I am not sure about a sending unit. I am unfamiliar with jeeps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would remove the gas cap and try to blow compressed air back thru the gas line to see if you can here it reaching the tank and rule out a severed/blocked line.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If there is a small hole are crack in the line the pump will not suck the gas from the tank all the way to the engine, it will suck air, check all the rubber hoses for leaks, remember it's sucking not pressuring on the line from the tank.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I had an old chevy one time that got rust and trash in the tank and it would it in the check valves in the pump and not pump, back then you chould take a pump apart and clean them and go again, put a metal filter ahead of the pump. for now to check the pump run a hose from the pump down in a can of gas and see if it will pump that way, disable the coil while doing this. hope it helps.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yeah I have disconnected the line that goes from the pump to the carb. That is where it wasn't getting fuel. The filter is by the carb. Is there another one by the tank too? And would it run fine then just cut out randomly and not start again if it was a filter?
With a carb'd 4.2 you only have a filter at the carb. If you're not getting fuel from the pump to the carb you either have another bad fuel pump, there was a problem with the install, a problem with the line from the tank to the pump or the mesh screen attached to the sending unit has possibly caused a problem. I believe you do have the poly tank so rust on the bottom shouldn't be a problem. Before I would drop the tank I would rule out everything from the tank forward; to include another pump. Make sure you have the correct fuel pump. I believe like the 89 there might be two types. The first has the outlet facing forward. The second style it faces to the rear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
disconnect your fuel line from the tank at the fuel pump. hook up another fuel line to pump. put other end in gas can, see if you get fuel. Kik is correct there are two kinds of pumps. however i have used both on my 90" also you can disconnect line that goes to carb, put end in glass jar, have someone crank it over and see if your getting anything from tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeep wont start on starter fluid now... Not getting any spark? So I decided to do the nutter bypass while I wait. The bypass is done now so what do I need to check for no spark?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts