Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I like listening to the local FM radio and jamming to my grandma's cassette mix tapes, I'm curious if I can get something a bit more 21st century connected to the speakers. I'm looking for something I can hook my phone up to, but right now I've got this factory Pioneer KE-1900 cassette receiver that only works if you give it a really hard wack in the bottom right corner of its face.

Also, I've never replaced a stereo in a car before (I'm 18) so if someone could give me some tips or point me to a tutorial or something that would be great. All I really know is that I need a special tool but I don't know where to get one.

thanks in advance
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
‘21 JLUR, AEV 2.5 DualSport, 35x12.5x20 BFGoodrich M/T KM3, 20x10(-19mm) Wheels
231 Posts
That’s awesome to see! I miss my 93 YJ dash! 😍

Anyways…I changed out to a Pioneer head unit back in the 90’s that played CD’s and could remove the faceplate AND had an alarm so whenever the door opened it would put out a horribly high pitched loud sound through the speakers.

I’d recommend hoping over to www.crutchfield.com and input your vehicle specifics to see what is out there in terms of BT and the such. They also have install sheets if you purchase from them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 90 yj that I’m looking to replace the stereo on so I’ll be following this post for advice as well.

But I do have some info I can share with you based on my shopping a research, keep in mind everything I say is what I’ve found for the 1990 yj, I’m not sure how yours differs. The speakers on my yj are trash and barely work. The passenger seems to work but the drivers speaker is intermittent. They’re made of paper which is inferior, so I would look into replacing the speakers, which is what I’m doing. Replacing the factory speakers is a challenge, especially if you don’t plan on removing the entire dash. You could look into installing a sound bar, which mounts on the roll bar above the front seats, I’m considering that now but they seem a bit pricey (~$200+ Dollars). I also found some kits that are designed to make replacing the dash speakers easier, but I have no clue how it works and they too are expensive (~$200+ dollars).

Enough about speakers, more about what you were looking for. I did find some receivers to replace the stock receiver and some were as cheap as $40 on Amazon, another on Rockville for around $50, they had Bluetooth and connections for usb. They were pretty basic otherwise. Now considering thelocation of the stereo, I think you can get really creative and fab up just about anything, it depends on how creative and technically skilled you are. There are also receivers for around $100 that have touch screens and all that fancy stuff, including ports for reverse cameras, xm radio, etc. I’m sure you can mount something with the right hardware (or wrong hardware if you’re creative). You would probably need to find some wiring diagrams, unless you’re lucky enough to find a compatible wiring harness to connect to the stock radio harness, someone else might be able to chime in on that and let you know if that’s possible. Considering the age of the vehicle, I doubt you’ll find wiring harnesses or mounting kits, and if you do, they will be $$$$$.

Personally I’ve started looking at all in one units with Bluetooth, radio, sound, etc that you basically mount below the dash and wire up. I haven’t found anything that suits me yet, but I’d like to know if anyone else knows of anything.

good luck and whatever you decide, post your conclusion/results on here so we can see.

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
401 Posts
You can get a decent unit for not that much money that has Bluetooth and a CD player. I bought a pretty cheap one on Amazon for like $60 because 1. I didn't want anything in there worth stealing and 2. I didn't want anything that might get water damaged and be expensive to replace.

ANY single DIN head unit will fit. That's all there is too it.

As far as wiring, the easiest thing to do would be to buy a factory to reciver wiring harness. Then it's just plug and play. However, there's only two speakers, so wiring it yourself with a standard harness and a soldering iron really isn't that hard. You're essentially running 1. Always on power (for the radio and presets). 2. Car on power. 3. The two speakers. I promise once you dig into it, it's not that complex. It's just about finding what color = what in the factory harness and then splicing it with the radio harness. It takes less than 30 min.

Edit:. To add. You don't necessarily need a special tool. A new radio will come with the two bars to isnert on each side of the radio to disconnect it from the metal housing. You can also bend the metal tabs back down with a good flathead screw driver. You're going to remove the plastic frame that goes around the outside of the radio and you'll see better what I'm talking about. That plastic frame just snaps on but it's step number 1.

Reactions: Papa_Bravo

·
Registered
1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L
401 Posts
This might be helpful

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude you are the man thank you

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If you buy if from Crutchfield, they will include an adapter harness for the factory wiring.

IF, the original factory mounting bracket is still in there, you can mount the radio so that it doesn't stick out.
Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Don't even think about those things in post #9 if you still have the factory plug. As jkp states, buy your radio from Crutchfield and they'll include the adapter harness so that it's a plug and play installation.
First, what you need to know is how is your current radio installed. If you have any questions, remove the gauge/radio bezel and pull the radio out so that you can take a pic of the connections. Post that pic and someone here can give you advice on how to proceed.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You already have an aftermarket radio so you’ll have to check if the radio was spliced in or installed with an adapter harness and go from there. As far as the radio is concerned personally I don’t even use CD’s anymore as I just stream Spotify and I’m done.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
CDs? Aren't they kinda like 8-tracks? I think I saw some in an antique store last weekend.

I have CDs (Certificates of Deposit) with my financial manager. That's the kind to have.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Dusty Duster

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
As far as the radio is concerned personally I don’t even use CD’s anymore as I just stream Spotify and I’m done.
CD audio quality is superior to low bit rate streaming, however not so convenient... I have ripped my CD collection and converted the files into FLAC and play them via USB in my Jeeps.

In a nut shell you don't need to turn the volume level nearly as high, distortion is minimized, and eliminates issues with cell reception.

Not all head-units are capable of playing FLAC unfortunately, a higher bitrate .mp3 would still be superior to low bitrate streaming.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,539 Posts
If you havent already bought, CALL Crutchfield and get someone on the phone. they are fantastic with helping you get everything you need right the first time. If you haven't already noticed. They are the GOTO guys for just about all us YJ owners. They won't upsell you unless you want them to, and they really know their stuff.
Lori is my personal favorite salesperson. Here's her number.
Lori

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,539 Posts
CDs? Aren't they kinda like 8-tracks? I think I saw some in an antique store last weekend.

I have CDs (Certificates of Deposit) with my financial manager. That's the kind to have.

Good Luck, L.M.
I used to have CD's, But then I ran out of Clay targets one day....

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If you havent already bought, CALL Crutchfield and get someone on the phone. they are fantastic with helping you get everything you need right the first time. If you haven't already noticed. They are the GOTO guys for just about all us YJ owners. They won't upsell you unless you want them to, and they really know their stuff.
Lori is my personal favorite salesperson. Here's her number.
Lori
I have been using Crutchfield for years, they are very good at what they do... however I'm not quite happy about the installation guide they made (that I posted in this thread).
I spoke to them and sent them some suggestions for a revision some time ago with detailed photos, etc. regarding the cutting of the dash panel as its not necessary if using the original bracket.

It lead no where.

Reactions: jkp

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
I have been using Crutchfield for years, they are very good at what they do... however I'm not quite happy about the installation guide they made (that I posted in this thread).
I spoke to them and sent them some suggestions for a revision some time ago with detailed photos, etc. regarding the cutting of the dash panel as its not necessary if using the original bracket.

It lead no where.
I get what your saying, So hard to backtrack something once modified. Unfortunately in my case, I was too late to the party as mine had previously been modified and had to buy another front bezel.

Piece of advice, Do a fitment check, before digging out your Dremel tool...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I have went though about 3 $300 receivers in my YJ and 1 $150 Alpine. My jeep is dusty and i used to hose out the interior and you would get some splatter on the underside of the radio. The dust would cause them to quit ejecting CD's so from now I'm going to run the cheapest MP3 compatible receiver i can find because they will be junk in a few years anyways.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts