Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
All (stock/legal) CB's have the same power output and therefore will have the same "reach out" .. The antenna will have more impact on your reach than the CB itself. I chose the Midland 75-822.. It's cheap, very small and easy to install. When I'm not using it I throw it in the center console..

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
There are several options available. There are a few companies that put together a full cb kit including the radio, radio mount, antenna, antenna mount, and coax. Just google cb radio kits for jeeps. Personally, I went with the Cobra 75.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I ended up getting the Midland 75-822 for it's compactness and portability in and out of the Jeep. But I came oh so close on buying a Uniden 510 Pro XL.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I looking for the right CB Radio that is small but still can reach out.
All (stock/legal) CB's have the same power output and therefore will have the same "reach out" .. The antenna will have more impact on your reach than the CB itself. I chose the Midland 75-822.. It's cheap, very small and easy to install. When I'm not using it I throw it in the center console..
I ended up getting the Midland 75-822 for it's compactness and portability in and out of the Jeep. But I came oh so close on buying a Uniden 510 Pro XL.
I'm shopping for one as well.
I have seriously considered Quadatec's "Complete Kit" with the Uniden and all.
But, I've since started to lean towards the Midland 75-822, for similar reasons above. Those that have it, do you have an antennae mounted on your Jeep? Or, is the HH's antennae adequate for the trails?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
It's real hard to beat the quality and reliability of the Uniden Pro-520XL, I've been running that radio for 20 years in dirty/dusty conditions. Midland is the only other brand I would consider, I'm no longer a fan of Cobra who I no longer believe makes a good quality CB like they used to be known for.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
on my Midland 75-822 the hand-held antenna only works when it's running on battery power (not when it's plugged in to the 12V lighter plug). There is a little mod/hack you can do to make it work with a mounted antenna but I didnt want to bother.
I bought 18 feet of coax, a Firestik antenna and a mount, and mounted the antenna on the tailgate. It's really easy to fish the wire and the only hole I had to drill was in the bottom of the plastic center-console. As others have mentioned some companies sell the entire kit with the little CB, antenna, coax, etc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yep, running a Firestik 3" antenna connected to the Midland. Research will show plenty of mounting options for the antenna. I also have the battery pack and rubber antenna in the Jeep if I need to take it outside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts