Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 YJ that got into an altercation with a tree. The tree won. Now I am looking for a YJ with straight frame & semi straight body. Would like to find one in non running condition at reasonable price, to be able to transfer my engine and drivetrain to. Any suggestions on where the best place to find one would be. I have been looking on craigslist, but have not had any success.

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
Depending on where in Texas you are, I would expand my Craigslist search. Try larger cities that are close or perhaps New Mexico, Oklahoma or Colorado. If you are in the dryer part of TX finding a good frame shouldn't be too difficult. Just remember, the engine mounts for 4cyl. and 6cyl. are different.
Finding a good tub might be more of an issue. You can advertise for one or advertise for a tub & frame. Just keep looking and make sure to have CASH available for when the "right deal" comes along.

It depends on what you mean by "reasonable price". Around Denver a person can find what you are looking for (a mostly complete YJ) for a Grand or two. Should be the same further South.

Once you have 15 posts, you can advertise on this forum.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I did not realize 4 & 6 cyl mounts were different. Mine was a 4 cyl. I will keep that in mind in my search

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
Thanks for the input. I did not realize 4 & 6 cyl mounts were different. Mine was a 4 cyl. I will keep that in mind in my search
It's not too big a deal to change the mounts if you have and can use a welder.

The most important thing when looking for a frame (and tub for that matter) is RUST. I would rather change motor mounts than deal with a rusty frame. Both require welding, but the rust seems to be never-ending.

How bad is your frame? Has you had a frame shop give you an estimate? YJ frames are stout and it takes a lot to damage them. It may be more cost efficient to have your frame repaired than to deal with switching everything from your old frame to the new one, plus the cost of a replacement frame.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts