Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just by lurking around here the last year, this community is amazing! Ive learned alot just by scanning the threads. Im looking to purchase my first Wrangler Rubicon. With having a growing family, It needs to be an Unlimited. With that said, Id prefer a manual but being the great husband I am, for whatever case my wife may need to drive it (emergency, Rouge in for service)

My question is, I don't plan on doing hardcore rock/boulder crawling, but do plan on mud,snow and regular northeast type wheeling with my little guy. Would I be doing myself a disservice by not getting the manual, or is an automatic going to do just as well?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You'll get people arguing for either side of the story. Some people say manual is better, some people say automatic is. Get what will make you and the family happy.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I went with an auto just cuz I think it's easier on the trail. Of course I called back in a panic to see if they could swap it to a manual because that's what I prefer, but I was out of luck. LOl

It's just a matter of your preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get people arguing for either side of the story. Some people say manual is better, some people say automatic is. Get what will make you and the family happy.
My wife didn't specifically say she wanted me to get an automatic, but might be unsettling for her to know if something happened, she cant drive our Jeep. Think Ill get auto than. Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Either way.

What makes you think an auto isn't good for offroading? If anything, an auto is better insofar as it's easier to use the brake and the gas at the same time without having to worry about the clutch.

An auto is also less likely to stall, obviously. As a manual driver, I can tell you that being able to work the clutch on the road is considerably different than doing so offcamber or in other awkward spots offroad.

There are some folks who claim manuals are better for offroading, but my opinion is that this would only be true if you were a very sophisticated offroad manual transmission driver who could take advantage of the added "control" a manual brings to the table. But for most folks, an auto is a better bet for offroading.

And to be clear, I drive a manual and am not terribly sophisticated, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have no doubt an auto would be easier for me to offroad with, but I just prefer a manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in the same boat when I bought mine - I wanted the manual but my wife doesn't drive stick and needs to be able to drive the Jeep occasionally. I miss having a manual trans, but I can't say it's ever really been a problem for me. Off road, an auto can actually be an advantage in many situations. And on the road I drive in heavy traffic to and from work every day, so I have to admit it's kinda nice to give my left leg a break on the daily commute. Now 5 years in, I still think it was the right decision, although I do sometimes wish it was a manual.

In the end, you just have to decide whether or not your wife is more important than your Jeep :hide: :D

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DarthJeep said:
Any reason why she couldn't learn to drive a manual?
Maybe she doesn't want to.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm surprised that the Rubi bashers haven't chimed in yet to try and convince you that you should just get a Sport and don't need a Rubicon.

In terms of the Auto Vs. Manual, I always enjoyed driving manual but the Automatic transmission for the new 2012+ models is incredibly smooth and refined. Its actually a Mercedes transmission that has been carried over to the Chrysler line up.

Mercedes NAG1 / WA580 automatic transmission for Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler

The same engine is still used in Mercede's high power V12 AMG line up and even in some Maybach vehicles. It really is an impressive transmission that has been around and refined over several years.

Mercedes-Benz 5G-Tronic transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What sealed the deal for me was the test drive. Just take one out for a spin and really push it through all its gears. You'll find the shifts to be solid and smooth. It was one of the biggest selling points for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts